new micro 4/3 camera and goes underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, a 4:3 24mm is the same as a M4:3 24mm which is 2X (35mm equivalent) or same as a 48mm (35 equiv)??

N

Yes, I check out the adaptor with the 35mm macro. And called Oly. It is the same with the 2x crop they are both 70mm (35mm eq).

How was it in aperture priority mode without the dial. Did it fee comfortable with the arrow keys?

How was it in aperture priority mode without the dial. Did it fee comfortable with the arrow keys?

That is why my order is not in for one, if it had a knob at least for Av/Tv exposure adjustment up to five stops I would be happy with it, but, noooooooooooooooo, it has two buttons. WTH is up with Gen XYZ and Japan Inc. and these buttons:idk:. The camera is beautiful, maybe I just need to join the 21st Century.:dork2: It could use some gaskets too for sand and water resistance.

When there is a M4:3 fisheye lens, this thing is going to be badaXX I think.

N

That is why my order is not in for one, if it had a knob at least for Av/Tv exposure adjustment up to five stops I would be happy with it, but, noooooooooooooooo, it has two buttons. WTH is up with Gen XYZ and Japan Inc. and these buttons:idk:. The camera is beautiful, maybe I just need to join the 21st Century.:dork2: It could use some gaskets too for sand and water resistance.

When there is a M4:3 fisheye lens, this thing is going to be badaXX I think.

N

I know, if it had the ep-2 dial. It would be a winner for me, but I will be picking up the ep-l1 next week at adorama never the less. I went to bh today. They did not want to open the box for me unless I buy it. If they had let me played a little bit with it, they would have sold me the epl1 with the evf, and adapter, and 35mm macro in one shot. Adorama will get my business for this purchase.

Next year will be a 50mm f0.95 prime for the m4/3. If it had AF it would be even better.

Ok, had a long meeting with Olympus this afternoon.

The camera is awesome, but is very "dumbed down" out of the box. It has some great features, many of which are more easily accessible from their Super Control Panel. It works much better after a good tune-up.

Auto focus is very reasonable, and can be sped up by limiting some of it's perimeters that you don't use uw. The kit lens that ships with it, is ok, and will work for a variety of shots. It close focuses to about 4", better uw, but it will need a 2x macro diopter. The 9-18 is better, but still an f4 lens. I think that this camera would benefit from some better quality lenses - the Oly 17mm is awesome, but is not compatible with the housing, it will vignette. I think I might look at some of the Panasonic or Sigma offerings. Like the Zeiss 45mm macro. I've asked them to try to see what other lenses will fit the housing and they said they would. Be prepared with your biggest c.c. Good glass costs cash.

A couple of cool things. Two "My Modes", switch the whole camera around at a flick of a button. A programmable function button. One button movies and this is really cool - it will continuously auto focus while filming - something that the DSLRs can't do in video mode.

It's a budget housing, no doubt, but still quite functional. They were after a price point and I think hit it. The package for $1200 street price is awesome for the quality it will do, but it's best for macro and wideangle. All functions are accessible, it's compact and easy to handle. I have to question adding in the electronic viewfinder, we'll have to see how usable it is uw.

Ship dates are still up in the air a bit. Some cameras may get here earlier for pre-orders, but housings and most of the line probably won't hit until late March.

But all-in-all I think Oly has a real winner.

Jack

PS if any of you have specific questions or features you want me to look at, please post, and I'll try.

Thanks for the review. Also, thanks for the housing photos as well. Those are always helpful.

I guess the question for a novice like me, is the camera a good "tweener" for someone like me who has a OLY 8000 and does basic travel and momemto underwater pics to show friends and family or should I go all out and buy a DSLR? It looks smaller and would appear to be easier to haul in and out of the diving boat, but would be still too big to just put in your pocket to travel around. It would be the hope that the camera would produce much better quality photos under water than the simpler point and shoot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom