New, Old member from Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobHerb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi -

I used to be an active member of this board many years ago, but over the years I got distracted and now I am back.
I have been diving since 1967 and now reside in Roatan Honduras, where I am the Photo Pro at Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort. I retired here in Roatan, Honduras from Southern, CA (USA) where I still have a residence that I use as my Company headquarters.

I dive many days a week and join all of our boats to take photos of our above and below the water of our guests. I put together a video/slide show for each day of diving and then show all my work at the end of the dive week for our guests. All of my work is available online at my website (robertherb.com).

As a professional photographer, my work is purchased and used in many dive magazines around the world.
I look forward to contributing, catching up on many of the threads here, and making new friends on this great board.

Bob Herb

Headed your way this week - struggling on whether or not to bring a Wetsuit...
Caymans were no problem with a swim shirt what about there - now.

TIA david

Headed your way this week - struggling on whether or not to bring a Wetsuit...
Caymans were no problem with a swim shirt what about there - now.

TIA david
The water temp is 81 F, with no thermoclines and very little current. The north side is flat, south side has waves and wind. Where are you staying?

Hi -

I used to be an active member of this board many years ago, but over the years I got distracted and now I am back.
I have been diving since 1967 and now reside in Roatan Honduras, where I am the Photo Pro at Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort. I retired here in Roatan, Honduras from Southern, CA (USA) where I still have a residence that I use as my Company headquarters.

I dive many days a week and join all of our boats to take photos of our above and below the water of our guests. I put together a video/slide show for each day of diving and then show all my work at the end of the dive week for our guests. All of my work is available online at my website (robertherb.com).

As a professional photographer, my work is purchased and used in many dive magazines around the world.
I look forward to contributing, catching up on many of the threads here, and making new friends on this great board.

Bob Herb
Hi Bob, welcome back. I’m a DM obsessed with spearing lionfish and have been traveling to Curaçao the past 5 years mainly to spear. I got Roatan’s lionfish permit 6 or 7 years ago and am considering another trip there with my son. What’s the current lionfish situation? Are you seeing many or are the locals doing a good job controlling them?
Thanks
Jay

Give a big hug to Osman Gomez, loved diving with the folks, and thanks for taking care of your part of the planet!

Hi Bob, welcome back. I’m a DM obsessed with spearing lionfish and have been traveling to Curaçao the past 5 years mainly to spear. I got Roatan’s lionfish permit 6 or 7 years ago and am considering another trip there with my son. What’s the current lionfish situation? Are you seeing many or are the locals doing a good job controlling them?
Thanks
Jay
Not many are to be found unless you head to the Island's East End. There are some found on the south side of the Island, but the Eels have gotten very aggressive due to some of the Dive Shops feeding the Eels with Lionfish. We do find some Lionfish up past Punta Gorda on the north side, but your best bet is way out east or Pigeon Cays area. Hope that helps.

Thanks
Jay
Would I have luck Freediving from shore in Curacao for lionfish?

Nice to see you on the forum, Bob - we were just in Roatan this past September and the dives were absolutely stunning. Working to get back there first opportunity! And really enjoy your photography - hope to see you on a dive in Roatan someday!

Joss
Rincon, PR

Hi -

Bob Herb
Whalecome back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom