New oxygen narcosis study (May 2017)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're only reading the abstract or synopsis of the study. For $30.00 you can get the whole thing which probably includes the raw data. As sketchy as this abstract appears, I'm doing to save my money.

Maybe they were suffering from surface narcosis???

The paper does include the statistical analysis and all of the raw data.

Best regards,
DDM

certain agencies have touted one of the advantages of nitrox is reduced narcosis. The O2 component notwithstanding I have always felt the depth at which noticeable impairment occurs is pretty much where the benefits of nitrox go away anyhow

A more definitive test would be to vary the O2:N2 ratio from N2= 3.6atm to 4.8atm. I have done such a test using a rebreather and while it may be completely subjective it has left me with strong convictions on the O2 narcosis debate.

Last edited:
At some point you're the mental equivalent of a cow as your bovine index approaches one.

Gulp, I guess the Chairman has me pegged!

IMHO to test this using chamber dives may more accurately reflect the actual effects of the gas vs testing in situ where other factors may enter the equation (such as distraction when a great white swims inquisitively by). Get my "drift?" However, as most have pointed out, it seems to be a significantly flawed study.

You lose IQ points when you put on gear, more points just by splashing and you keep losing them with depth. At some point you're the mental equivalent of a cow as your bovine index approaches one.

May be one of my favorite quotes so far this year.

certain agencies have touted one of the advantages of nitrox is reduced narcosis.
Which? I first learned with PADI, and it was stated that this was not the case. Having taught NAUI and still teaching SDI/TDI and NASE, I know that this is not a part of their curriculum. An instructor or two might have it wrong, but I don't see this as an agency mantra.

"followed 15 min later by significant performance inhibition while breathing air during the ascent and the postdive phase, supporting the concept of late dive/postdive impairment."

The part of the data given are for when they are FIRST at depth. Then they talk about significant performance inhibition later but we do not have any of the "significant performance inhibition" data. So all the discussion is mute unless somebody ponies up the money to buy a copy.

When I first started out in tech diving I was cer
Which? I first learned with PADI, and it was stated that this was not the case. Having taught NAUI and still teaching SDI/TDI and NASE, I know that this is not a part of their curriculum. An instructor or two might have it wrong, but I don't see this as an agency mantra.
when I started out in tech diving I was certified through ANDI. It was definitely part of their curriculum although they called it safeair not nitrox.

You are bordering on someone's rather famous "farm animal stupid" territory here...
You inspired me... oh wait... :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom