New PADI Dive Master Candidate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agwatts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone,

I posted in the other forum on the topic of going into the PADI DM program. I was requesting feedback on the DM program, both pro & con, and any tips on what to look for and what to expect.

Thanks,
Greg:D

It all depends on who is teaching the course. Is it expected that you use shop sold gear? If so are they willing to supply it? I would not buy all new gear. That is assuming you already have everything. IMO anyone starting DM should already have all their own gear including at least 2 tanks. Some places reportedly won't let you around students(internship portion) unlees your gear is the brand they sell. This is BS. How long is the course? How flexible is the schedule? If all the others drop out for some reason will they finish your class? Expect some level of servitude. You will haul tanks, check in and rinse gear, shlep weights, deal with PIA people who have no business in the water in the first place. Be Nice to them. How much effort will you need to put into it? That depends on what you want out of it. As DM candidate I assisted with about 20 certs from ow to rescue, helped with a discover for a science class from a local college( 45 students over 3 nights broken down into groups of 5-6), did my mapping exercise over the course of about 15 dives(it's very detailed) with half of them solo. My course lasted nearly a year due to scheduling, shop moving, working friggin swing shifts etc. But I did get alot of experience with alot of different people in many environments.

pro good exp and you get to dive

con you work for free

I'm about halfway though it and really having a good time. even all the tank hauling I don't mind. I think all I really have left to do assist in a few OW classes and get my physical swim tests out of the way. Likely before the end of the year I'll be done!

There will be fun and not so fun times, but keep a good attitude and you'll love it. And as everyone has (or will) said, find a good instructor - he/she should be the kind of person that you'd also like to just do fun dives with.

It REALLY depends on your instructor. I know a few DMs that I would NEVER have as dive buddies. They're not bad folks, their instructor just pencil-whipped their training. If you get a good instructor, you will learn a TON and become a much better diver.

I finished the DM course about a month ago, and I'm very glad that I took it. I have a great instructor and we have the same philosophy. His DMs aren't slaves. I don't haul tanks, I don't do scut work. I'm there to help make the experience fun and safe for the students.

What you get out of the training is directly related to how much you put into it. Work hard and learn alot, it's a great opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom