• Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 Octopus

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Scubapro MK17 Evo/G260 + R195 Octopus

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Scubapro MK17 Evo/C370 + R095 Octopus

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW - when I was about to buy my first regulator set, I was gravitating to the Scubapro MK25/700A. Then I saw a movie about diving under the Antarctic ice in -20*C on the surface. These divers used Apeks XTX50. Hence I bought an Apeks XTX100+40 and never regretted it. But then, I have never tried a Scubapro. Had I bought it, I'm sure, I would not regret it either. The suffering of choosing lasts until you buy a good reg. After that, you even don't think about it. :)

Since you're looking at the Apeks, it might not be a bad idea to look at Deep 6's package. They're basically a clone of the XTX50, but you can service it yourself and they even give you your first service kit for free.

I wonder if people continue to repeat this false statement enough hoping that will somehow make it true? The Deep6 Signature first stage is not an XTX50 clone, it is a design Chris has developed, worked on, and refined for years. I am truly amazed at how often people flog this dead horse.

I've been looking at the D6 package, but after I configured everything the price range was way higher for me than the others I'm considering...

The compact size was a plus, but that is not as important for me as durability or the way it breathes.

Curious, what configuration are you looking at? You mention durability and the way it breathes as being key components. The signature reg is more durable than most other offerings given that it is not only chromed, but has a TiCN PVD coating applied on top of the chrome. You can google TiCN coatings for more background information.

As for breathing characteristics, our Signature regulator performs quite well across a variety of environments. I routinely dive mine down into the hypoxic range on demanding dives (such as downline tie-ins on tech wrecks).

Curious, what configuration are you looking at?

I was looking at the single tank D6 Signature configuration, but after adding all the hoses and stages, unfortunately the package priced over my budget... it would have been one of my top choices otherwise.

wonder if people continue to repeat this false statement enough hoping that will somehow make it true?

My apologies, I had heard that comparison from other divers and have not personally looked at the inside. Lovely reg though!​

My apologies, I had heard that comparison from other divers and have not personally looked at the inside. Lovely reg though!​

I believe that comparison was often made in reference to the earlier HOG first stages. Having looked at the D6 schematic I can assure you it is not a clone of anything Apeks by a long shot.

I was looking at the single tank D6 Signature configuration, but after adding all the hoses and stages, unfortunately the package priced over my budget... it would have been one of my top choices otherwise.

You must be getting a good deal from your LDS. Looking online, a Deep6 signature single tank setup was less than an XTX 50 first and second stage at Leisure Pro. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

@LandonL

When using my phone, the regulator configurer forced me to accept the plastic spg even if I did not want it. Not sure if this is a glitch or not.

I started with the Aqualung Mikron... while I had no complaints with it, I was told that I couldn't use it for a course because it wasn't rated for the conditions (temperature). I now use a ScubaPro MK17EVO/G260/R195 - while I do notice the weight difference; I prefer this over the Mikron (I kept the Mikron for travel, and/or use by my gf).
I've got the components for the Apeks (xtx100/xtx50/xtx40); but haven't assembled it, yet. (sucker for a good deal, lol)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom