Which regulator to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am still using the Apeks DS4 with TX50 I first bought back in 1997/98.
You will not get any improvement of the performance from FSR/200 over DST/50. I have both and could not tell the differences under water.
Save the $30.00 for something else.
BTW, Apeks FSR/DST are dead easy to service(DIY) and they all used the same service kit(separated 1st and 2nd).
5th port? I do not see any reason to use it on single tank diving for myself.

DS4 + XTX40 is more than adequate and a lot cheaper as well.
I am not looking for the performance, whether the hoses fit much better on fsr first stage for the single tank? I dont need turret/swivel. I found on this forum several users of dst for the single tank who said that dst was hitting them in the head.

I am not looking for the performance, whether the hoses fit much better on fsr first stage for the single tank? I dont need turret/swivel. I found on this forum several users of dst for the single tank who said that dst was hitting them in the head.
DS4, DST and FSR are the same internally except FSR has a removal crown seat.
From my own experiences only, I never ever had any issue with any Apeks 1st stage hitting the back of my head.
DST is heavier and longer but not fatter so I do not see how the DST could hit the back of the head. With an DIN to Yoke adapter? May be for some divers but I have tried it on many occasions and could not agree with the finding.

If you are not looking for performance then Apeks AT regulator will do. US4(non environmental and warm water only) 1st stage.

I decided to buy al helix pro..it will be more than enough for my needs.. can i buy yellow legend octopus,there is no at the momen helix octopus. Legend octo cost 30€ more then helix pro yellow octopus.

I decided to buy al helix pro..it will be more than enough for my needs.. can i buy yellow legend octopus,there is no at the momen helix octopus. Legend octo cost 30€ more then helix pro yellow octopus.

The Legend octo will be a good match other than the name plate being a little different.

DST is fine for single tanks and if it has the 5th port is my preferred first stage design for single tank.

I would not buy the Aqualung over Apeks but that's just me.

All of them are owned by Aqualung so any parts availability issues will likely affect everything.

I do not know about Croatia but none of those are DIY repairable with factory authorized parts in North America so you will have to check for regional availability. Aqualung strictly forbids the sale of parts to end users in North America but does not apply to all of their regions so you'll have to check if you can buy them where you live.

My personal recommendation would be XTX50/DST with another XTX50 octopus.

Interestingly not, Apeks supply chain has never been an issue in my experience, aqualung in contrast is nothing short of shocking, really.

I built a helix pro first stage from parts, I like it, very simple. I did ditch the ACD inlet in favour of the 8mm hex inlet fitting though.

If you're mostly diving in 10m et a few times in 40, those high end products might be to much... I would rather go in the same brand for a core/helix(pro/supreme version is for cold water) or a ds4 which are less expensive and far enough for a few confortable dive up to 40m.
I suppose that parts are quite available for aqualung and apeks in all EU stores, to DIY I think aqualung parts are easier to get(at least in france).
legend octo will be technically ok with an helix pro(same intermediate pressure).

Hello, new scuba diver here. Can you suggest me regulator set. I need it for the work.

Shallow, max 10m, 1 single 15l tank. Will be 200+ dives in a year. So i understand for my work i only need low entry ones, but I will have deeper dives for my own pleasure when i have a time up to 40m for sure,so i decided to spend a little more money

I found in my local store apeks xtx200 xtx40 octo( i read on this forum that fsr is ok for single tanks), xtx50 xtx40 octo(dst not ideal position for the single tank at all??? xtx50 set cost 30$ cheaper then xtx200.

Aqualung leg3nd(with venturi knob) cost 30$ more then xtx200, helix pro is cheapest one significantly and i think that maybe will be perfect for me? L

Which ones is more reliable,how about parts and diy repairs? Thanks for any advice

I’m a fan of scubapro, however it all matters on what you can get serviced. I don’t know much about apeks as my shop doesn’t offer them.

You can’t go wrong with apeks from what I’ve read. If you plan on diving for a long time and want versatility I would go top of line and it should last a lifetime and give damn good WOB.

I’m my experience I’d stay away from aqualung. Nothing wrong with it, but I’d choose apeks over Aqua lung all day.

Scubapro mk25/g260 is what I use.

Back
Top Bottom