New Ri, Ma Shore Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the Thread and posts. The warm winter has me looking forward to an early start to the dive season here in New England (early at least for me). The lake I dive in CT was free of ice in February and rapidly warming. I usually start the lake diving in May but April is likely this year. I'll keep an eye on RI water temps as I suspect they may rise sooner than usual. The discussion of tropicals has also stirred my dive interests. While I have seen tropicals in RI I did not know seahorses were a possibility. That would be something especially special to see in RI. Maybe this year I will venture to some of the other RI sites CT Rich, Afterdark and others have mentioned. I tend to stick to FT W these days. Here's to a great 2016 NE dive season!

Thanks for the Thread and posts. The warm winter has me looking forward to an early start to the dive season here in New England (early at least for me). The lake I dive in CT was free of ice in February and rapidly warming. I usually start the lake diving in May but April is likely this year. I'll keep an eye on RI water temps as I suspect they may rise sooner than usual. The discussion of tropicals has also stirred my dive interests. While I have seen tropicals in RI I did not know seahorses were a possibility. That would be something special to see in RI (actually they are special anywhere but it would be more so in NE). Maybe this year I will venture to some of the other RI sites CT Rich, Afterdark and others have mentioned. I tend to stick to FT W these days. Here's to a great 2016 NE dive season!

Since I was mentioned, King's beach is pretty easy entry and dive. It will be an easy dive in the lee of the islands, but once you go out side its protection you will feel what ever ocean swell there is. Although it usually isn't particularly bad. On any given day it is a relatively easy dive. It stays pretty shallow for quite a ways out <50fsw so a compass is handy if are going to dive away from them island. I usually. go out around the island on a single tank, It is definitely good site for novice divers. It doesn't get stirred up like Ft W does and I have never seen it get as crowded as Ft W,

Bass Rock in Narragansett was okay. I did a blog on it, I think. Another spot worth checking out is Land's End in Newport. That was really good. I did a Blog about that and showed where to park (it is a hike but it is legal for non-residents. Green Bridge is about as consistently good as any place in Newport. Another spot that I have tried is Fort Adams. I have dove the bay side of it. There are some ship's anchors and chains, I did it a couple of times. I have been meaning to try diving the cove side of it. The British scuttled a bunch of ships in Newport during the Revolution to block the use of the harbor. It is a state park, but they don't charge for parking (as I recall). The cove is an active boat basin, so it may not always be perfect.

Thanks again--more to check out.

Anyone shore dive from Gooseberry Beach or Goosberry Island? Was looking at the shoreline on google earth east of Kings Beach etc.

I kayaked out to Gooseberry Island and did a shore dive from it. It was an awesome dive, but I did not find the arches. Gooseberry Beach is a $20 per day for parking. I haven't seen anything about diving from it. The rocks look rather shallow, but interesting. It is well protected. If you want to snorkel or fish collect in late August/ early September, it may well be worth an outing. If you are thinking of swimming to the arches from the beach, according to Google Earth, it is 0.6 miles. If you are going in from Green Bridge the swim would only be 1/2 mile. I have done most of it, but would would recommend a small boat.

Looking at the satellite images, I am thinking that Rejects Beach, which is close to the end of Cliff walk, is looking rather interesting. It doesn't have any direct parking, but it does have the attraction of being right next to Baily's Beach, one of the most expensive beach clubs in the country (if one of the current members die, you might be able to get one of the Cabanas for a mere $50,000). Anyway, as part of the reject class, the Reject Beach does look appealing to dive. You can drop off your gear and dive buddy at the beach and park at the Almy Pond Recreational Area about 3/4 of a mile away and walk. I just find it attractive to be wearing my ratty old wetsuit and beat up gear in such an exclusive neighborhood extremely entertaining.

Information about parking passes at Newport Beaches can be found here:
Rhode Island Beaches in Newport County: Newport, Jamestown, Middletown RI and mo

Woods hole is a great dive with poor viz. I've done maybe 30 dives there and no it well. Good day we get 15 feet, bad day more like 3. zero predicting what the viz will be - it might be blowing like snot up top and clear below, I've done it in February thinking it would be clear - but no 31 and 2 foot viz. Always good life there - currents can rip but they are usually reasonable, and you can't surface - boat traffic. Sunday morning is our usual gig there - best to go with someone the first time. we get tropicals on the cape too...

Poor wittle fella's gonna freeze.
Actually, most are surprised that there are native sea horses in New England and even further north.
They are also resilient little fella's. I've seen plenty of them in Arthur Kill along unfamous "chemical coast", Kill van Kull and even East River near UN.

Back
Top Bottom