New safety device - survey - 2nd try ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChristinaUngerer

Registered
Reaction score
Dear ScubaBoard users,

I have read the discussion about new safety products for scuba diving and it seems to be a really controverse topic. As I have developed an online survey concerning an innovative safety device (I'm a diver, but I don't have much experience, so I rely on the opinions of advanced divers for my Bachelor's Thesis topic) and I feel it would make sense to post a link to the survey in this forum.

The survey is addressed only to people from Australia and the USA...
Of course you're not obliged to take part, but you would help me and well this way your opinion will have some influence on the development of the device.

Survey Link:

http://ww2.unipark.de/uc/UniPF_Ungerer_BuddyWatcher/

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a great idea.

I have no need for this product and would certatinly not pay $400 for it. Good buddies would not need it. A crutch for poor buddies, not reinforcing improved behavior, perhaps even reinforcing, poor behaviour.

I did the survey. I personally don't see a need for a buddy keeper/minder, but I'm sure that there are plenty of divers, especially inexperienced and/or vacation divers, who would be interested in it.

In my opinion, if you need an electronic gizmo that functions as a buddy keeper/minder, then you aren't buddy diving properly.

Some might go so far as to say that reliance on well-intentioned gadgets such as this might encourage divers not to develop "old-fashioned" buddy diving skills (recognition of buddy's position at all times, situational awareness, underwater communication, maintaining comfortable distance between buddies, etc.), which can place inexperienced divers in dangerous situations.

a survey I developed for my Bachelor's Thesis, which is about determining the market potential of an innovative safety device for scuba diving.

As an academic, surely you have been taught NOT to skew results by guiding/leading your survey respondants...

You call this an 'innovative safety device'.

You could have called it a 'useless, expensive, gadget'.

a survey I developed for my Bachelor's Thesis, which is about determining the market potential of a useless, expensive and dangerous gadget for scuba diving.

Do you think that this 'leading' would skew your survey results? Do you think that you are 'planting seeds' in people's heads...

what is the range? would it work to place one unit on an anchor line as a way to find it later? would it work in the air? could a boat driver use it to locate a drifting diver 1.5 miles away?

Don't confuse a business degree with academics :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom