New security at ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Placate the American Gov? Heck no. This whole thing is adding to the general 'unsafe Mexico' thing that is becoming more popular. People are cancelling trips. Local business are touting constantly about how it is all over and it wasn't a big thing to protect their businesses.

The 'show' is probably very important.

Of course if Barcos Caribe was still running, I *might* have to ride it. That leather couch and the cheap local rate was nice.

Reactions: BRT
Yea, really. We come down by way of the ferry and usually have bags with all kind of crap for the house and for friend. Everything from canned chicken to dishwasher pods. Of course lots of working people transport stuff on the ferry so they should some experience with that.

So does anyone know for sure why Barcos Caribe is not running?

Placate the American Gov? Heck no. This whole thing is adding to the general 'unsafe Mexico' thing that is becoming more popular. People are cancelling trips. Local business are touting constantly about how it is all over and it wasn't a big thing to protect their businesses.

The 'show' is probably very important.

Of course if Barcos Caribe was still running, I *might* have to ride it. That leather couch and the cheap local rate was nice.

OK, placate the US Govt and their travel restrictions, along with all the Sheeple that believe that the TSA travel screening would actually a stop a capable, financed, determined person or group from taking out another plane. And I agree that "The show" or "Security Theatre" is very important for that purpose. Effective in terms as to actual security...probably not.

I would be curious to know if there was a decline in business that can be traced to the ferry issue.

Jay

From what I have read, the cruise ships have not been using ferry
boats for any shore excursions. I think the only main land excursions
have been to Tulum,and that is using smaller boats.
Does anyone have any information about more cruisers staying
in town? Maybe that has benefited local businesses.

I would be curious to know if there was a decline in business that can be traced to the ferry issue.

Jay

Yes. I can tell you my dive op has had a least a couple cancels over it. I read a post of C4Y where a couple thanks everyone for the advice, said they cancelled their trip and stopped following the page.

Of course it has an effect. Same as the wood alcohol and what now. The degree is what matters, I guess.

You are right that they are all a bunch of sheeple if nothing ever happens again. And if something does happen, you will seem not too bright. I can't say which it will be.

It won't stop me, but I also accept things have changed a little in that respect.

It is part of the charm of Mexico. If it was the US it would be boring right?

1. Couple on 'bad' parasail rope smack into a light pole.
2. Every gringo crash will be the gringo's fault.
3. Every side walk is uneven and has horrible electric connections near your head.
4. If you show up on a tour bus the taxis will surround you and make you get off and in a taxi.
5. The criminal justice system is fundamentally broken
6. You can rent a car that would NEVER pass a safety inspection back home.
6. thing are worse than they used to be, I think.

However in the face of that:

1. the people are still wonderful
2. the place is still beautiful
3. the diving is still awesome
4. and while it is WORSE than it was, it isn't terrible.

I will still walk the streets at night and ride the ferry. Doesn't mean it is the same as it always was, just that it hasn't change enough to make me change my routine. I think we can have perspective and acknowledge the shades of gray.

So does anyone know for sure why Barcos Caribe is not running?

Last I heard they were stopped for not having the their papers in order? Maybe insurance. Last thing I saw from BC was a 'we're still standing' on their FB page.

It won't stop me, but I also accept things have changed a little in that respect.

It is part of the charm of Mexico. If it was the US it would be boring right?

1. Couple on 'bad' parasail rope smack into a light pole.
2. Every gringo crash will be the gringo's fault.
3. Every side walk is uneven and has horrible electric connections near your head.
4. If you show up on a tour bus the taxis will surround you and make you get off and in a taxi.
5. The criminal justice system is fundamentally broken
6. You can rent a car that would NEVER pass a safety inspection back home.
6. thing are worse than they used to be, I think.

However in the face of that:

1. the people are still wonderful
2. the place is still beautiful
3. the diving is still awesome
4. and while it is WORSE than it was, it isn't terrible.

I will still walk the streets at night and ride the ferry. Doesn't mean it is the same as it always was, just that it hasn't change enough to make me change my routine. I think we can have perspective and acknowledge the shades of gray.

And on all of this we agree!!

As far a parasailing, as a young college graduate some friends and I went for a week in Puerta Vallarta for a graduation trip. A good time was had by all...so I am told... except for one very vivid memory of my parasailing adventure. The harness was similar to a rappelling harness. As soon as you left the ground, you were supposed to sit down so your butt was in the harness. nobody told me and I basically parasailed by my nuts for 20 minutes...or 6 days it seemed. I was looking at the emergency releases wondering how deep the water was and if it was worth the drop. Even after 26 years, Everytime I see a parasailer...my nuts tuck up just a little bit out of shear fear...bad memories...bad bad memories...never again.

Have a good weekend, looks like its going to be beautiful in Oklahoma, hope its the same up North!!

Jay

Security Theatre. Accurate term. I suspect that this is a knee jerk reaction to a one time event that is only designed to placate the American Govt to show how much they are doing to make sure Americans are safe in Mexico.
Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they did nothing, and another bomb went off and killed someone, heads would roll. I'm glad it's not my job.

Back
Top Bottom