New Shearwater Dive Computer - 2024!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first two Shearwater computers were Petrel 1s. The form factor difference is quite noticeable. It's not a viable Perdix replacement. After all, the Perdix REPLACED the Petrel. The Petrel 3 only remains in their lineup due to its ties to various CCRs.

Thanks for sharing. I have dived with both for 6 months (one on left and one on right arm) and was not noticing much difference in weight or size in the water. Definitely difference in sharpness of screen.

I guess in the end there is a reason to get Peregrine vs Perdix and Perdix vs Petrel but I am wondering if the cost of keeping in production all three justifies the different customer segments they are targeting.

The induction charging on the Peregrine was the killer app for me. I have lost a $400 camera and a $400 computer to flooding over the years. Never having to open a seal to replace a battery was a very attractive feature. I overall, I have really liked it. Easy to program, easy to use, nice log funtion, bluetooth connectivity, screen is really easy to see. I have gotten multiple days of diving on a single charge (usually just toss it on the charger at night, anyway).

I agree with Rich on not having to open it. That was one of the reasons I picked the Peregrine to be my new comp.

I've found battery life, both in use & while sitting on a shelf, to be excellent. And it recharges pretty quickly with no risk of flooding. Much simpler than replacing the battery on my Oceanic was.

According to the Peregrine TX manual from Shearwater, you can customize the bottom row center and far right mini displays, just like the regular Peregrine or Perdix 2 operating in Rec mode. The Perdix 2 operating in Tec mode display is slightly different and has more options that you can't do on the Peregrine or Peregrine TX.
and hidden in that tidbit is the ability to configure the Perdix for Trimix. However, unless you are super serious about spending $300+ per dive on helium in OC configuration (ie: tec diving w/o budget for CCR because you're literally blowing money out your pipe) it's kind of a mute point.

But the Teric battery was supposed to last about 5 years! So... Teric has been a disappointment with respect to the longevity of it's rechargeable battery. I have not heard of similar issues with the Peregrine so looks like they've learned some things.
It get's replaced whether it needs it or not, in my experience its not actually needed replacement at the first service interval.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom