New Shearwater Dive Computer - 2024!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the Peregrine TX manual from Shearwater, you can customize the bottom row center and far right mini displays, just like the regular Peregrine or Perdix 2 operating in Rec mode. The Perdix 2 operating in Tec mode display is slightly different and has more options that you can't do on the Peregrine or Peregrine TX.

According to the Peregrine TX manual from Shearwater, you can customize the bottom row center and far right mini displays, just like the regular Peregrine or Perdix 2 operating in Rec mode. The Perdix 2 operating in Tec mode display is slightly different and has more options that you can't do on the Peregrine or Peregrine TX.
Thanks. Rec mode is all I would need so that would work for me.

The battery is great on the Peregrine. And it charges wirelessly so there are no battery compartments or openings to potentially screw up and allow water intrusion.
Yeah, I'm going to have to really consider this. The only thing I'm sort of hesitant about is the rechargeable battery. I think I'd rather have the replaceable AA battery like the Perdix has.

Someone let me know if my hesitancy on that is warranted or not.

Thanks. I saw where it has up to 30 hours battery time, but I guess my main concern is battery degradation after a couple of years usage and recharges.
On my Teric's the battery gets replaced as part of the standard service at the recommended service interval (2 years), so degradation is never an issue.

On my Teric's the battery gets replaced as part of the standard service at the recommended service interval (2 years), so degradation is never an issue.
But the Teric battery was supposed to last about 5 years! So... Teric has been a disappointment with respect to the longevity of it's rechargeable battery. I have not heard of similar issues with the Peregrine so looks like they've learned some things.

But the Teric battery was supposed to last about 5 years! So... Teric has been a disappointment with respect to the longevity of it's rechargeable battery. I have not heard of similar issues with the Peregrine so looks like they've learned some things.
The Peregrine is a much larger format, so there is more space for a larger battery.

For what it’s worth, my Teric is over 5.5 years old and I’ve never had it serviced. The battery doesn’t last as long as it used to, but I can still get a week’s worth of diving 4 dives per day and only have to charge it once in the middle of the week. I’ll probably send it to Divetronix late this year for a service and battery replacement, but for now it’s still good enough.

Is this the end of the Perdix? Looking only at the large screen Shearwater computers (Peregrine, Perdix, Petrel), the main differentiator between Peregrine and Perdix was AI. Now that the Peregrine has AI, the only differences left are trimix, CC and sidemount. All these features are also available in the Petrel SA that will stay in the product line given the need for a CC controller. I am just wondering if there is still a real need in the product line for the Perdix or if you just need the Peregrine to cover rec (and some tech) and the Petrel to cover tech and special needs such as user replaceable battery, Amoled display.

Is this the end of the Perdix? Looking only at the large screen Shearwater computers (Peregrine, Perdix, Petrel), the main differentiator between Peregrine and Perdix was AI. Now that the Peregrine has AI, the only differences left are trimix, CC and sidemount. All these features are also available in the Petrel SA that will stay in the product line given the need for a CC controller. I am just wondering if there is still real place in the product line for the Perdix or if you just need the Peregrine and the Petrel to cover rec and tech.

User replaceable AA battery. That is a huge deal to many of us. I doubt Shearwater has plans to drop the Perdix 2 Ti, at least I sure hope not.

User replaceable AA battery. That is a huge deal to many of us. I doubt Shearwater has plans to drop the Perdix 2 Ti, at least I sure hope not.

You also have user replaceable battery in the Petrel. Size and weight difference between Perdix and Petrel is not much.

You also have user replaceable battery in the Petrel. Size and weight difference between Perdix and Petrel is not much.

My first two Shearwater computers were Petrel 1s. The form factor difference is quite noticeable. It's not a viable Perdix replacement. After all, the Perdix REPLACED the Petrel. The Petrel 3 only remains in their lineup due to its ties to various CCRs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom