New sunken ship found off rhode island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was on the first page of the BBC web site yesterday. Didn't see anything on the US news sites - go figure that the Brits honor a guy that beat them but the US ignores our winner

Interesting photo of the cannon "concreted" to the bottom. Glad that the elements have not entirely crumbled out the iron. Let's see what the NAVY does with the wreck and smart for the team to have conducted their own survey/assessment prior to making a public announcement.

X

This is probably the tip of the iceberg for what is out there on the Watch Hill Reefs.

The windows for diving are quite small to launch search expeditions. These guys won the lottery.

I have always insisted there is a lot of information in old books and literature of the area. I'm wondering what sort of treasure information lies in the bookstore in Watch Hill as they do have some interesting maritime history books.

This is probably the tip of the iceberg for what is out there on the Watch Hill Reefs.

The windows for diving are quite small to launch search expeditions. These guys won the lottery.

I have always insisted there is a lot of information in old books and literature of the area. I'm wondering what sort of treasure information lies in the bookstore in Watch Hill as they do have some interesting maritime history books.

A sea-worthy boat, time/personnel to launch a mag fish/sonar would probably reap a whole lot-o-benefits. That said - historical records, fisherman etc. can give a wreck hunter a lot of valuable information. Someday, when I have more time I might want to look around here for some wrecks.

X

Right on! Being a Rhody native, but never dived there gives me lots of good stuff to look forward to. I plan to go back this summer and dive the U853 off of Block Island. My mom has a picture of the boats sunk off of Block Island but I didn't see the sub. The picture/poster refers to vessels primarily of the 1800's.

Read the story yesterday - pretty cool. I also agree that the team was smart to do the survey prior to the announcement. Makes you wonder what is in other areas of the Northeast?

Bob

Read the story yesterday - pretty cool. I also agree that the team was smart to do the survey prior to the announcement. Makes you wonder what is in other areas of the Northeast?

Bob

There are tons of targets out there. Many, many undiscovered. It's just deciding what's worth it based on research. Sometimes you can get a prize which grabs headlines, or television. If you're serious about - better have some time and money to devote + some experience dealing with local/ FED agencies.

At the end of the day you do need a few things to make the hunting successful: a boat which can stay at sea for a few days or more, a diving team/ROV/AUV, sonar, mag etc., and some historical info. that gets you somewhat near your target.

When you're all finished (and this can take years) you can smile when you are reading about your exploits drinking your cup of coffee at breakfast. :D

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom