New surcharges on Nekton cruises?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are scheduled on one of the Nekton boats soon, and we both just got letters from them announcing a new $20 per person surcharge for 'emergency communications'. Good grief, what is this? They have satellite phone capability (just now?) and are apparently asking us to help pay for it. They promise unlimited phone usage in case of emergency, -oh, really?- and are also offering us each 10 minutes of phone usage for personal use, to help take the sting out of this. They call this a "semi-mandatory" charge. I like that- semi-mandatory... Does this bring any other current scenarios to anyone's mind? Like the airline petty charges game, perhaps? :shakehead: What do the rest of you think about this? Woody

Hmmm.... sounds like a bull-crap surcharge to me.

Any boat that goes out commercially already pretty much has a SAT phone on it.

It sounds like they are having customers say " I need to call home and it's an emergency" or get an emergency call. then they are trying to figure out how to itemize the bill to that customer and also get him to pay it afterwards (after he's gotten off the boat). Sounds like they got tired of the fuss and are making everyone assorb the cost at $20/person.

I wouldn't be suprised if they bought a SAT Phone plan with X amount of yearly minutes on it in order to get a reasonable per-minute-rate and this is how they are paying for it by pushing it off on their customers.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Nekton, but they seem to have a lot of surcharges compared to other boats.

what next? a surcharge on toliet paper on the boat?

Sounds like a money grab to me.

So, if you elect not to pay, do you still get the benefit of unlimited use in an emergency??

I would expect that **IF** I had to use anyone elses phone, especially a SAT phone which is exspensive, that it would be only fair for the caller to pay for useage of the phone. At the bare minimum the per-minute-fee used.

They've had satellite phone capability for years. One of our group had to be evacuated by Coast Guard helicopter in 2000 (seasickness complications) and his wife was allowed to call the ICU where he was taken using the SAT phone at no charge. Clearly they knew it was a real emergency situation. While I don't agree with charging everyone for use of the SAT phone whether it's used or not I also don't agree with allowing people to use it in "emergencies" that don't involve getting off the boat and flying home before the trip is over unless they pay prior to using the phone.
Ber :lilbunny:

I have no idea about that........ sounds pretty stupid to me. If they wanted to get more money out of customers it should be over more than $20pp and something more plausible than an emergency phone (which they already have). Seems very odd all the way around, but then I haven't gotten any straight answers out of them in months so who knows what's going on. Just shooting themselves in the foot again, like canceling the Belize itinerary.

Thanks for all the backup. I was wondering if I was just being incredibly cheap (who-me?:rofl3:) or if others were reacting the same way to this nonsense. If the company has an increase in costs, then put it in the basic charge like everyone else. These nickle&dime charges are irritating, but I suppose it does no good to complain. I guess it's like teaching a pig to sing- it wastes your time, and annoys the pig.:shakehead:

Thanks for all the backup. I was wondering if I was just being incredibly cheap (who-me?:rofl3:) or if others were reacting the same way to this nonsense. If the company has an increase in costs, then put it in the basic charge like everyone else. These nickle&dime charges are irritating, but I suppose it does no good to complain. I guess it's like teaching a pig to sing- it wastes your time, and annoys the pig.:shakehead:

Which itinerary are you doing?
please be sure to do a trip report when you get back. We would love to hear about it. We love the crews of both ships and miss them! :(

robin:D

When are you going?

I booked for September 13th. I made my booking on June 28th, and received my package from them on Friday, July 4th. No mention of this new charge.

Surcharges in general are BS. It is nothing more than a lame excuse for not planning far enough in advance to estimate costs and making it part of the overall price. How many of these outfits have had fuel surcharges for the past 5 years? Do people think all of a sudden gas prices are going to drop and then the surcharge is going to go away? If so find me that pig cause I got a new opera singer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom