New surcharges on Nekton cruises?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't be fooled, you still feel the thing move.... maybe not as bad as a single hull boat, but it's still there.

I am not fooled. My wife doesn't barf.

She pukes looking a Long John Silvers. The effect of the Nekton is similar to an 80'+ twin masted sailboat~ just a gentle lulling motion.

I can get onto 1/2 dozen liveaboards for free- I'll pay to take her on the Nekton.

The rest you can easily disagree upon, with or without experience or factual basis, but the SWATH hull does what it does- quite superbly.

I am happily a Nektoid. I like that. :)

I am not fooled. My wife doesn't barf.

She pukes looking a Long John Silvers. The effect of the Nekton is similar to an 80'+ twin masted sailboat~ just a gentle lulling motion.

I can get onto 1/2 dozen liveaboards for free- I'll pay to take her on the Nekton.

The rest you can easily disagree upon, with or without experience or factual basis, but the SWATH hull does what it does- quite superbly.
Different types of motion bother different people. I have a friend who is more bothered by the "gentle lulling" than more motion. Yes seems odd to me, but if they're sick who am I to argue? Your truth is not everyone's.

Different types of motion bother different people. I have a friend who is more bothered by the "gentle lulling" than more motion. Yes seems odd to me, but if they're sick who am I to argue? Your truth is not everyone's.

oh my gosh, now you got me worried. I had considered Nekton exactly for the non-puke factor. Now this makes me think. I have gotten sick on those humongous cruisers and ferries that do not do NOTHING. Maybe that is the wrong thing for me. I need realistic movement when on boat. Maybe Nekton's lulling is not for me. Help.

I need realistic movement when on boat. Maybe Nekton's lulling is not for me. Help.

Try a mono hull or a cat then.

Very realistic.

Please admire the ocean from the leeward rail, stay far aft. :wink:

oh my gosh, now you got me worried. I had considered Nekton exactly for the non-puke factor. Now this makes me think. I have gotten sick on those humongous cruisers and ferries that do not do NOTHING. Maybe that is the wrong thing for me. I need realistic movement when on boat. Maybe Nekton's lulling is not for me. Help.
In my experience the Nekton boat will pitch (front to back) less than a mono hull boat of the same length but the difference is not that significant. That is, neither kind of boat pitches very much, but there is movement when facing into swells and it can be significant if the swells are large. Less because it is a much heavier boat than a mono hull of the same length so it takes more wave energy to get it moving, but the difference is not significant. Pitch is normally not the significant motion on any large boat however.

The huge difference is roll. A mono hull boat will roll side to side and is the motion that most people feel as it is a much larger motion than pitch on a mono hull boat - the rougher the water the more roll - the Nekton boats experience almost no side to side motion. In all but very rough conditions the boat does not move side to side at all. This is a significant difference and can easily make the difference between a comfortable trip and a nightmare.

Can you get seasick on a Nekton boat - absolutely - I take drugs whenever the boat is likely to be in open water facing into swells. The crossing from Cayman to Little Cayman was particularly rough with things falling from shelves. The boat does move, however a mono hull would have been much much worse in the same weather.

If you get seasick on very large boats (300' plus) then you may have trouble even on the Nekton boats if the weather gets bad. In protected waters the boats are like sitting on a deck on land, but in rougher water they do move and if you are suceptable then you will be sick.

yes, you can get sick on the Nekton if seas are really rough... but as others said, you would be much sicker on other boats in the same seas. The Nekton does has a motion, but it is very slight and yet some people still don't like it. I honestly like the motion and a friend on the trip with us recently even commented to me that she didn't know if she could sleep when she got home - she wanted her bed at home to hum and rock her the way the boat does during the night. :D During the daytime when the boat was moored, sitting up on the huge top deck in the breeze.... aaah, absolute heaven. Its like being on an island in the middle of the gorgeous turquoise sea. :D

robin:D

Didn’t mean to hi-jack this (anyway I am against nickel&dime surcharges!!!) The fact is that being prone to sea-sickness I have avoided being on boats/ships any longer time, and I just wonder if things would improve if one gave it a little more time. 24 hrs is my longest stint in one go, I just haven’t dared to plan longer.

With scuba obsession it’s just getting harder and harder not to look at liveaboards. I hear people saying about getting sick in water from water movement. That never does it for me. When I get off the boat and into water that’s it: Cured! So as long as my dumb body understands the motion, I seem to be ok. So I wonder if my dumb system would also get acclimated if I gave it a little longer to get over the first puke threshold.

Maybe trying to intellectualize this too much is not going to help. I think though that Nekton might be one of the safer choices to do a trial week. At least it’s not only 6 customers, so I have some chance of being forgotten if it ends up being a week from hell :D
"Hey it's that lady whose all 5 T-shirts are permanently stained..."
"Don't look at the corner of HER mouth" etc

BTW: I used my AT&T cellphone from the boat in St Croix. You're right there the whole time.

The stability issue on Nekton is always discussed as black and white, when it isn't. You'd have to break it down to "at anchor" and "underway".

I've been on Nekton for St Croix trip. I have been on other liveaboards. My experience was that at anchor, the boat was reasonably stable though not the rock solid platform Nekton likes to portray. There was some movement from swells which would appear unavoidable. I'd say it was better than a typical hulled craft.

Underway however, in the passage from Puerto Rico to St Croix, it was NOT the stable platform. Look at it. You're driving a building around. It's inevitable that you're going to be bobbing around, even though they do their best to ballast. On the way out and the way back, we were seriously bobbing around.

I'll note an important point: The position in the boat did have some effect. Up and down and front to back. We were at the bottom which I would theorize reduced the movement compared to the higher story. We were in the middle of the boat until the sewage overflowed into the bathroom and they moved us to the front of the boat. I felt the front was better. I really felt the trough but particularly the lift when I was in the middle. The zoom up was the most effect on my stomach though I never actually got sick. I find seasickness is part mental, so I kept busy and didn't get sick though the trip back had considerable movement. I was trying to complete packing but finally had to just lay down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom