New surcharges on Nekton cruises?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuel surcharges are a "shell game" to me. basically it's a way of saying "my cost have gone up but I don't want to raise my prices because it will make my trip cost look to high".

so in order to keep their fare lower, they add these fees on the back end.

At first glance, a Nekton trip looks cheaper than the Aquacat for example. But once you add all the extra fees, including nitrox, then my cost comparison a year or two ago showed the Aquacat to be cheaper for example. (Aquacat surcharges are much less).

The only difference in the long run I can see to there being a "surcharge" instead of including it in the base fee is that it most people wouldn't include the surcharges as part of the fare that they base their 10%-20% crew tip on.

after reading your post, mike_s, I think I'd gladly pay $ 20.00 for a spray can of RAID!! :D

...seriously though, you're exactly right.....the 'new' business model (the same one used by airlines, credit card companies, banks, phone companies, and dive ops ) is to advertise the lowest possible 'base' price to lure customers in, and sneak in all the additional fees/surcharges later, in an attempt to beat the competition with the 'lowest' list price.

I'll never use the Nekton boats anyway.....they're dirty/rundown...NITROX is $ 250 extra per week, is rationed to just the 1st few divers, the mix is only guaranteed to like 26% and the NITROX compressor is usually out-of-order anyway.....and a diver I know, who used their steel LP tanks, complained to me how he and the wife had to have their regs serviced after a Nekton trip as their regs came back from their trip full of rust !

Karl

My wife not barfing makes the Nekton well worth whatever they charge.

Don't be fooled, you still feel the thing move.... maybe not as bad as a single hull boat, but it's still there.
not even close - have you actually been on the boat????

I'll never use the Nekton boats anyway.....they're dirty/rundown...NITROX is $ 250 extra per week, is rationed to just the 1st few divers, the mix is only guaranteed to like 26% and the NITROX compressor is usually out-of-order anyway.....and a diver I know, who used their steel LP tanks, complained to me how he and the wife had to have their regs serviced after a Nekton trip as their regs came back from their trip full of rust !

Karl

Just what I like a bunch of "facts" that are close to true but are based on hearsay or rumour.

Nitrox is $195 - used to be $150 has never been $250. Look it up.

On every trip I have been on every diver that wanted Nitrox got it - while fills are only guaranteed to 26% my average over three trips has been 31%. They supply up to 14 divers with Nitrox - says so on the web site - no reason to disbelieve it. Not just the "first few divers". I do understand for several months the Nitrox compressor on one boat was not working, I also understand it is now.

My regs show no ill effects at all from the LP tanks and I can't imagine them rusting to the point that they would get a reg "full of rust", but who knows - anything is possible.

Obviously you have never actually been on the boat so your opinion re dirty/rundown is suspect. Well used - yes. Dirty - not at all. The same glitz as a PH or Aggressor boat - no.

Three trips - comfortable accommodation great diving - great crew. No seasickness. On every other boat I have been on I have had to fight seasickness at some point on the trip. Nekton - not so much.

not even close - have you actually been on the boat????

Actually, he has been on the Pilot. While most people will feel no ill effects from the Nekton boats, you absolutely can feel movement (noticeable at night when they are moving to another location). There were a couple people taking precautions while on board to not get sick on our trip, even on a NEKTON boat! As for Nitrox, pretty sure it was down for almost half the year on the Rorqual.

I've never seen any other company defended more on here when even the slightest negative comment is made regarding their boats, crew or policies. I'm not sure why people feel they need to try to correct people's opinions. It only sheds more light on the complaints when people argue back and forth.

Actually, he has been on the Pilot. While most people will feel no ill effects from the Nekton boats, you absolutely can feel movement (noticeable at night when they are moving to another location). There were a couple people taking precautions while on board to not get sick on our trip, even on a NEKTON boat! As for Nitrox, pretty sure it was down for almost half the year on the Rorqual.

I've never seen any other company defended more on here when even the slightest negative comment is made regarding their boats, crew or policies. I'm not sure why people feel they need to try to correct people's opinions. It only sheds more light on the complaints when people argue back and forth.

I think we'll begin calling those folks the Nektoids :rofl3: :lotsalove:

The Nekton boats are far from being first class liveaboards. The LAST thing I want in a liveaboard is the possibility I'll be diving with 20 to 30+ other guests. End of story for me right there.

scubafanatic:
I'll never use the Nekton boats anyway.....they're dirty/rundown...NITROX is $ 250 extra per week, is rationed to just the 1st few divers, the mix is only guaranteed to like 26% and the NITROX compressor is usually out-of-order anyway.....

Just what I like a bunch of "facts" that are close to true but are based on hearsay or rumour.

Nitrox is $195 - used to be $150 has never been $250. Look it up.

Scubafanatic is correct. They used to charge $250 for Nitrox. I remember this also.

Found proof of it on one of their old web pages so it's not "hearsay". (you said to look it up :) )

reference Nekton Diving Cruises - Nitrox

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom