New Tech Skin Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I could not wait until morning to give it a go so here it is. Everything went just fine. I am hopeing to dive it this Sat to try it out. Hopefully there will not be any leaks around the valves. I attached a bunch of pics of the step by step (just of cutting the hole and installing the dump valve.

pinch together to cut a small slit right in the center of the mark
IMG_5192.jpg

Cutting from the center out to the outside perimter of how big I want the hole...
IMG_5195.jpg

Cutting out the hole.
IMG_5201.jpg

Needed something a little sharper to clean up the hole.
IMG_5207.jpg

Stretching over the valve seat.
IMG_5208.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

There she is...
IMG_5210.jpg

Then just install the valve.

Step 1
IMG_5211.jpg

Step 2
IMG_5212.jpg

Step 3
IMG_5213.jpg

Have a good one...

Phil

Bravo Phill:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I'm sorry you had this hassle, but I'm glad you posted these photos. Whoever installed my tech skin did it incorrectly. Until I saw the image of you stretching the skin over the lip of the valve seat I had no idea it existed. Mine arrived with the skin sitting on top of the seat rather than being stretched around the seat lip.

I'v just had a look at my inflator valve. It wasn't stretched over the seat lip either.

Last edited:
am i missing something?
why doesn't it come with a prefab hole?
i saw the apology from whites, but i was confused as yo wether it was supposed to be supplied to you like this or not

Hey man, good work! It looks exactly like my suit that came from the factory with the tech skin installed.

Bravo Phill:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I'm sorry you had this hassle, but I'm glad you posted these photos. Whoever installed my tech skin did it incorrectly. Until I saw the image of you stretching the skin over the lip of the valve seat I had no idea it existed. Mine arrived with the skin sitting on top of the seat rather than being stretched around the seat lip.

I'v just had a look at my inflator valve. It wasn't stretched over the seat lip either.

Well lets hope that stretching it over that seat is the correct way because that is how my Rec skin was attached. I had no problems with that so either way it should be fine...

The whole deal of cutting the hole was not that bad, just a little nerve racking. I did not want to make a mistake...

Phil

Well lets hope that stretching it over that seat is the correct way because that is how my Rec skin was attached. I had no problems with that so either way it should be fine...

The whole deal of cutting the hole was not that bad, just a little nerve racking. I did not want to make a mistake...

Phil

When I 1st saw your photo's I thought why did he do it like that. Answer, because his Lycra sports skin came that way. So I tried it. Interesting how the skin just happens to fit perfectly under that lip. Tighten down the valve & it no longer binds on the skin material causing it to stretch the material in a spiral around the valve until the last little tweak. Also stretching it over the seat would seem to put the skin in a position that would have a lot less wear than sitting it on top of the seal.

I feel quite confident that stretching it over the seal is the correct (better) way to do it.

Nice job! Do you do surgery on the side?

Pete

Nice job! Do you do surgery on the side?

Pete

I wish I got paid that well....:D

I am going to dive it in the morning, so hopefully everything will work like it is supposed to and I will have no leaks....:11:

Thanks for all the compliments...

Phil

Back
Top Bottom