New to cold water - overweight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wearing a 2 piece Farmer John can be an interesting experience the first time. Most don't realise just how much buoyancy change there can be as you descend and fail to keep up with it to the point they quickly accelerate crashing into the bottom. 14 mil on your core provides a lot of neoprene to compress. You may be a little over weighted but I doubt that it is that large an amount and would suggest to try removing only a little at a time.
Yes, very good point. I started out 14 years ago with the old farmer john using 42 pounds. Over the years I was able to get down to 35 pounds. I don't think it had anything at all to do with my diving ability getting better, but it was because the wetsuit was losing "integrity". Got a "new" used one about 3 years ago and no way I could get down with 37 pounds. Back up to 42....So yes, try dropping a little and see how it feels. That may be just as good as a proper weight check.

Definitely too much weight. I was diving that much with a drysuit and an Al 80. In a wetsuit you wouldn't even be close to 30 lbs

The OP is far more experienced than me, but in a normal 7mm with a 5/3 hooded vest in fresh water and a steel tank, I need 20 pounds (give or take, depending on the tank). With a farmer john and an aluminum tank, I'd need a few more pounds. Add in a few more for salt water, and that starts getting to be a lot of weight.

Anyway, the Dive Buddy weight calculator might give you an idea if the weighting is completely off base: Estimated Diving Weight Calculator | DiveBuddy.com

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to get a tank to 500psi in a safe environment and do a weight check.

The OP is far more experienced than me, but in a normal 7mm with a 5/3 hooded vest in fresh water and a steel tank, I need 20 pounds (give or take, depending on the tank). With a farmer john and an aluminum tank, I'd need a few more pounds. Add in a few more for salt water, and that starts getting to be a lot of weight.

Anyway, the Dive Buddy weight calculator might give you an idea if the weighting is completely off base: Estimated Diving Weight Calculator | DiveBuddy.com

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to get a tank to 500psi in a safe environment and do a weight check.
Agree. Everyone's body buoyancy differs as well. Two people that weigh exactly the same can vary a fair bit with how much weight they need.

Thanks everyone for such thoughtful responses. (It was saltwater btw).

You really do have to trust your instincts, huh? But back them up with the science.

I’m guessing my guide loaded me up because he was afraid I would rocket to the surface. I wouldn’t do that to my students personally but I understand the impulse.

Now that I have a feel for for it I will slowly drop weight. Although I think I’m going to learn drysuit and never go back....... :)

I’m probably not diving with that operation again. Very condescending and I had to come to you lovely people on the internet for discussion.

I will make sure to do a buoyancy check no matter what next time, instructor be damned.

And I appreciate the input on the buoyancy variations of those beastly suits at depth and on the surface. Thanks for helping me learn from your experiences.

Another thing about thick wetsuits is it can be harder to descend when the suit is dry. Air in the fiber has to escape first. Not sure about the exact physics, but that's what I have experienced.

@HeroAlphaWolf That sounds like my experience doing my open water training in Seattle — they strapped 42lbs to me in a 7mm 2 piece wetsuit. Now I have learned that I am properly weighted with about 26lbs when diving in a drysuit with a medium weight undergarment (I went to a different shop for my drysuit certification after my OW experience.)

The nice thing is that after diving in the cold water, bouyancy control is oh so easy when you go to a tropical location.

I'm 5'9" 190, all torso and short legs. I use 31 pounds with drysuit and AL 80. With a wetsuit, more like 23 pounds, all in 30 ppt saltwater.

I know the shop I work with gives new divers 10% of body weight plus 12 pounds. It's too much for most people, but better that then getting to the dive site with insufficient lead. They also emphasize weight check in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom