New to DIN, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hand tight but not cranked. Too loose and the captured o ring can initially hold pressure but extrude later during the dive resulting in rapid loss of gas (autobiographical). Also, check after reg removal that the captured DIN o ring hasn't remained inside the valve. That can happen if there is a small about of residual pressure remaining when you unscrew the DIN fitting which pops the o ring out of its groove. Always carry spare o rings (either 111 or 112's depending on your first stage, 90 duro either way).

The delrin dust cap should be left on land/boat so as to remain clean and dry. I always put it on anytime the first stage is off the valve even if just changing tanks. I do not use the rubber/plastic cap that comes with Atomic/Scubapro regs. They don't screw down and are just dust caps, not water tight. Take them off.

Apeks dust caps have an o-ring on it, if you need to change one before a dive because it blew out when assembling.
Good to know. Hadn't noticed that on the dust cap on my stage reg.

To reiterate what others have said, be careful not to over tighten. Two fingers should be enough.
Also be careful when threading the reg to the valve. With rental tanks it can be very easy to cross thread. The reg should screw in fairly easily, if not back it out and try again.

Good to know. Hadn't noticed that on the dust cap on my stage reg.
The oring on the Apeks dust cap is exposed and can get damaged. Inspect any o ring carefully before installing it.

When you travel to Mexico, you should take a yoke adapter, just in case. Some ops have Pro valves there, but the insert may be corroded in place.
And on that note (I say half-yokingly), if the OP plans to travel with this reg to tropical paradise dive destinations, the OP might check out all the threads in which people have gotten frustrated with trying to use DIN regs at such destinations and started taking a yoke reg instead. I would advise the OP to hold onto his old yoke reg for such trips and dedicate the new DIN regs to the pursuit of NJ wreck diving.

When you travel to Mexico, you should take a yoke adapter, just in case. Some ops have Pro valves there, but the insert may be corroded in place.

And on that note (I say half-yokingly), if the OP plans to travel with this reg to tropical paradise dive destinations, the OP might check out all the threads in which people have gotten frustrated with trying to use DIN regs at such destinations and started taking a yoke reg instead. I would advise the OP to hold onto his old yoke reg for such trips and dedicate the new DIN regs to the pursuit of NJ wreck diving.

Yep, I did get a yoke adapter, but depending on the location I could also just swap out and take my perfectly good yoke mk25.

Thanks!

How about the dust cap? Where does it go when my reg is on the tank? should I attach it somewhere with its lanyard or just leave it somewhere above water?
I toss the cap in my weight bag with my keys and glasses. When I take the reg off the tank for cleaning after the dive, I immediately put the cap back on before it goes into the soak tub.

Back
Top Bottom