New to diving dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwa1007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well ok, I took the plunge and bought my first drysuit. I dive quite alot in the local quarry and didn't want to go through the winter without diving. I bought a SeaSoft Tx3 and have dove it once (1st dive of the PADI drysuit specialty). I gotta say, it was pretty awesome to be in 52F water and be very comfortable.

I need some advice on the best way to purge air. The air in the suit seems to migrate quite a bit and the purge valve is located on my left inside forearm. It seemed like I had to maneuver to a vertical position before I could release the air. Is this normal? Also, what's the best setting on the purge valve? It can be set so that you must press the button to purge or it can be set so that when you lift your arm, the air will purge automatically. How does everybody else set this? Any insight is appreciated.

Mike

Why did you get a purge valve on the forearm?

To help with air moving around the suit, I dive mine with as much squeeze as I can tolerate & enough air that will keep my undergarment lofted & keep me warm. I do not use the suit for buoyancy control unless an emergency.

It seemed like I had to maneuver to a vertical position before I could release the air. Is this normal?
Yes. You generally need to have the air escape route to be the highest point so that it can escape.

Also, what's the best setting on the purge valve? It can be set so that you must press the button to purge or it can be set so that when you lift your arm, the air will purge automatically. How does everybody else set this? Any insight is appreciated
There's no single "best" setting - otherwise it would just be set that way and you couldn't adjust it :)

I generally have mine full-open (self-venting) with a half turn closed. It gives me good results most of the time.

Good luck!
nd

Paco, It seems like most of the drysuits out there have the purge on the forearm. I've also seen them on the upper chest. What do you prefer?

Most I have seen is on the left shoulder with the inflater on the upper chest. I have heard of the dump valve on the wrist & even on the ankles.

You are correct they come in all flavors! :)

Op--

Most are located on the upper arm area.

A slight tilt of the body raising that arm to a bit higher point will allow gas to escape, maintaining a min. of gas in the ds just to allow for comfort will go along way in not having to burp gas out of the suit during the dive.....of course upon ascent the exhaust valve will allow gas to escape.

Your DS class should address these and other skills....have fun!

Its like anything else....practice and dive time will help allot in the learning curve.

I have my dump located on the inside of my bicep. It's a horrible place and I might have it moved. Maybe to the forearm.

Outside the elbow is a location I commonly see for a dump.

I keep my dump a couple clicks from full open and it vents very nice if I can maneuver the air bubble to the dump. If I have double steel 100's on my back, I'll crank the dump down about half or two thirds closed.

There are two problems here. All drysuit specialty courses teach their students to use the suit for buoyancy to avoid "multi-tasking" of controlling two devices. If they would just teach you to put in enough air to relieve the squeeze there wouldn't be an issue with the exhause valve. Also, exhause valves on the forearms, wrists, ankles or thighs make it extremely difficult to dump while in a horizontal position, especially inside a wreck, cave or any tight restriction.

Also, exhause valves on the forearms, wrists, ankles or thighs make it extremely difficult to dump while in a horizontal position, especially inside a wreck, cave or any tight restriction.

Ok then, where is the best location for the purge valve?

Also, your correct that I was attempting to use the suit for boyancy. My next dive, I will focus on eliminating the squeeze and using my BCD for boyancy. Thanks for the help.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom