New To Diving (Oxygen Question for experienced divers!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why why would there be a likely oxygen toxicity hit if you follow the correct depths and oxygen levels
Because for oxygen therapy to have an effect, you will have to go to oxygen doses that your physiology reacts to. Like any medication, if you take enough of it to be effective, there is a chance of side effects. With the partial pressures and times involved in hyperbaric oxygen therapy, there is a significant risk for that to happen. And the consequences of an oxtox hit under water are vastly different from what would happen in a chamber. You will drown unless you have a full-face mask, alert and capable buddy, and a lot of luck.

this is dicey as mentioned above.
The least unsafe way to do this is to get a nitrox diver cert, then get advanced nitrox only, *I think @uncfnp did something like that for a medical reason*,
then get and learn how to use a full face mask so when you give yourself an O2 seizure, you are less likely to drown $1k. At the same time, get a gas switch block $300, and an extra tank so you can take air breaks like you do in the chamber. Then make sure you have a support diver so when you seize, they can call 911.

The "best" course for this would be IANTD's In Water Recompression Supervisor course.
To get there, you need Basic Nitrox diver, deep diver, CPR/O2 administration, rescue diver, advanced nitrox, and 100 logged dives.

So minimum of $2k in gear *if you get good used gear*, and probably double that in courses *course fees, certification, travel, lodging etc etc* and probably a year to get there, so how far does $6k get you in HBOT?

I do not recommend going this route to avoid HBOT fees.

Just curious, why is there such a certainty of oxygen toxicity and seizure?

@JoeDive1234 , did you post simultaneously with kafkaland, because I think he just answered that question?

Sure, it is possible that sitting at 20 feet depth breathing oxygen, which most divers consider a safe partial pressure, COULD be effective, but I doubt it. I suspect--and again I know nothing about HBOT--that to have the desired therapeutic effect on the body the PPO2 needs to be higher than that. It's the combination of PPO2 and time that's relevant to the likelihood of it inducing seizures, and so you need to know what PPO2 and amount of time spent breathing it would be effective--and safe.

Last edited:
And it is very unlikely to work anyway. Medical research suggests it's just snake oil.

@JoeDive1234 , did you post simultaneously with kafkaland, because I think he just answered that question?

Sure, it is possible that sitting at 20 feet depth breathing oxygen, which most divers consider a safe partial pressure, COULD be effective, but I doubt it. I suspect--and again I know nothing about HBOT--that to have the desired therapeutic effect on the body the PPO2 needs to be higher than that.
That's exactly the depth I am considering. As that's the amount of pressure I need about 1.5 ATA

And it is very unlikely to work anyway. Medical research suggests it's just snake oil.
For what condition or conditions? I didn't see where the OP said what it was for, though I could have missed it. For at least one condition I know of (TBI), I have read a study suggesting otherwise. Citation, please? (Seriously, if there is a contrary study for TBI I am very interested.)

Edit: The NIH now says (this year) that the jury is out but it seems as though for cases more severe than "mild" there is some evidence that HBOT is helpful:

Is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Effective for Traumatic Brain Injury? A Rapid Evidence Assessment of the Literature and Recommendations for the Field

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom