New to fins, advise pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smurfzzz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to get a pair of fins, but I'm not familiar on how to choose a fin, other than knowing the difference between open-heel/full foot and split/paddle fin.

From my past 8 diving experience, only once where I had a good fit for the fin; while I had loose fins for the rest of the time, and it fell off twice (or more), to make it worse, it even gives me bad blister!

I get cramps easily, so I'm looking for a fin which is easy to paddle without much leg strength require. Lots of travelling to be done, so light weight is much preferred, prehaps size too. Hopefully something small and light weight, yet easy to manuever and give a good speed? Might be asking for too much???

I came across Gull fins (Gull coco & Gull Mantis), and was attracted by the colors, and the salesguy also mention that Gull is suitable for ladies as unlike typical paddle fins, it is easy to paddle due to it water purge design on both side of the fins. I understand split fins is easy to paddle but it is not suitable for current, whereas this Gull fins seems to fulfil my basic need (other than being heavy!). Can someone tell me what is the difference between this 2 model (Coco va Mantis)? Any reviews?

Mares xstreams are very light and apparently very easy on the legs. The Aqualung Hotshots are designed specifically for travel small and very light, fdog, a fellow SBer wrote a great review a while back, if you do a search you should be able to find it. I use Hollis F2s for travel small and light, great manoeuvrability but as with all short fins you do trade some power. From my experience I would recommend the F2s. Good luck with your search.

here you go found the review:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/361910-review-hot-shot-fins.html

Try before you buy. Everyone has different needs, and diving the fins will really show what will work best for you.

All the best, James

As James states, try before you buy. You've already had some issues. First, make sure you get sizes that fit. Having fins fall off is not good. If you had gotten caught in a stiff current those fins would have been useless. Make sure the fins are snug on your feet without hurting them. Ideally, the rear of the fin should end about where the rear of your arch is. If you can't get your foot in that far, it's too small. If your entire foot fits in the pocket it's too big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom