New to forums, introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JnJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greeting & Salutations,

I've read some discussion on this board in the past and have recently started diving with my wife. We are recreational divers and have so far only enjoyed diving in warm clear environments. I have only logged 10 dives so far so I am still very new to diving. I am hoping to find a good source of guidance since the diving world seems so varied and can be at times confusing.

Cheers,
JnJ

howdy and welcome from southeast florida..

Welcome. There are a range of what I call '1st-tier' dive destinations that U.S-based dive tourists seem to hit in their 1st few trips; Bonaire, Belize, Cozumel, Roatan and the Florida Keys (esp. Key Largo). And there are other places you can hit that are also just fine. Little Cayman Beach Resort, some live-aboard boats, as you pointed out it's varied to the point of being confusing. Where does Ambergris Caye, Belize, fit into this? Some say Curacao gives you a somewhat Bonaire-like experience with sandy beaches & more to do topside, so why do we see more trip reports about Bonaire? And so it goes...

If you want to break it down, there's probably a local dive shop or group near you that hosts a few group trips each year, and you could meet some people and make your 1st trips as part of a group where a leader & veteran travelers help you get your feet wet with dive travel. Have you guys got your U.S. passport books yet?

A budget option that packs a lot of dives into a week and gets good reviews, and seems quite popular with a number of different organizers in my region, is Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan. I haven't made it to Roatan yet. I think you'll find it's a fine budget means to rack up a bunch of warm water, high-viz., benign condition coral reef diving, but check some reviews for 1st hand accounts.

For later, when you're more seasoned, if you haven't already heard...you are easy driving distance of Freeport, TX, from which I believe departs the Fling to the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank. Not a trip for newbies from what I've read/been told, but for when you're more seasoned, an option you'll want to keep in mind. Especially since you don't have to buy airfare to get there, so weather-related cancellations shouldn't be a big a risk for you.

From Alert Dive Online:
-----Flower Garden Banks.
-----Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary, Texas.

From Undercurrent's free access articles:
-----M/V Fling, Flower Gardens, Texas.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom