New to here and to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

babyblu

New
Reaction score
Hey there... I just joined because I'm looking for all the information I can read before taking the big plunge - into the ocean! I want to scuba so bad, but have some issues with fear of the contents in the ocean and claustrophobia. Sucks really... even though I know BC oceans are so safe...

My hubby is one exam away from being an instructor, so when he gets that cert., I think I'll allow him to teach me. LOL. He was the president of a dive club on the sunshine coast, so I've been around the dive circle quite a bit... but, there is nothing like reading more about other people's experiences.

The pictures of underwater life are so amazing... blows my mind.

Jenn.

Welcome to SB and to the world of scuba diving.

Be aware of and respect the "contents of the ocean", but 99.999999% of the time there is no reason to fear the contents of the ocean.

For the claustrophobia, I find open water dives (instead of pool dives) give me more of a feeling of space and freedom. Just remember to stay calm and everything else builds off it.

I completely agree with DBailey.
I am a new diver that was terribly uneasy during training in the pool. Even though I had snorkeled I was still afraid of stuff. Once I hit the open water for certification everything changed. No more fears. I just wanted to get in there and get going.

hi babyblu, and welcome aboard

many, many, many divers on here have had similar (and much worse!) concerns
than yours, and they have become certified and love diving!

i think the best way to do it is to just start, one step at a time, and deal with your concerns as they come. if you think too much about it, you'll never get started!

Howdy Jenn!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums.

I know that some folks have some fears; maybe it'd be good if I had some. As long as you survive the car trip to the dive, though, you've made it thru the dangerous part. Almost everything in the ocean is afraid of us - for good reason.

For the claustiphobia, (a) give yourself permission to change, (b) then ease into it. Don't ever let anyone rush you.

don

BTW - it would really help if you'd complete your Profile...

:D

Hi Jenn,

Welcome to SB!

I had the same fear of the contents in the ocean as well, but once I hit the water I completely forgot what I was afraid of, and can't keep myself away now :)

As the others have said, take it slow, go at your own pace, and don't let anyone rush you.

WG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom