New to South FL, looking for dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefTrekker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello All!

I recently moved to Hollywood, FL from Texas. I'm in graduate school (Nova Southeastern) working on my Ph.D. in forensic Psychology......cutting into my dive time though!!

I worked as an Instructor in Texas (PADI IDCS), but haven't had much time for that over here. I've checked out the diving in Key Largo, and have had a blast so far. Sadly, I haven't made a single dive in the Ft. Lauderdale area since I moved here......primary because I just don't know anyone yet.

Looking for some dive buddies with experience in local diving to check out what's out there. My main interest is wreck diving, but I'm up for just about anything.

Can anyone recommend any local dive clubs, etc. to meet some new faces, or have I found the right spot online? Where's a good place to get involved in diving around here?

Drop me a line regardless, I always like to meet other divers!!

Jeremy

Jeremy, Welcome to Scubaboard and South Florida. The introductions and Greets section is a good place to introduce your self to the board. The folks here on the board are some of the best dive buddies! You found the best SCUBA spot online, IMNSHO!

There are quite a few of us here in Broward County, and specifically in Hollywood. Good beach diving! Anytime you want to go, check out the threads, there is usually a dive every weekend here, and there are plenty of divers also who dive during the week. Don't worry if you haven't done much beach diving, if you want to dive cheap beach diving is the way to go... only costs air fills and parking (and sometimes a parking ticket). LOL

Also, there is the Scubaboard Holiday Dive tenetively at Devils Den the weekend after Christmas.

Look forward to diving with ya!

ReefTrekker once bubbled...
SNIP...Can anyone recommend any local dive clubs, etc. to meet some new faces, or have I found the right spot online? Where's a good place to get involved in diving around here?
Jeremy, all you have to do is scroll through this forum to see how many activities we do. Between this board and e-divers (a Yahoo! club) you could dive full time (Walter seems to lol). Here you'll find shore divers, boat divers, and tech divers. There's even a group of kayak divers.

Wrecks abound in our local waters but you'll get tired of them eventually so make sure you accompany us on a shore dive or two where you'll see the most "small" life.

This is an easy going group, not much into the diver-ego or macho BS, and I have yet to meet anybody here I wouldn't dive with. Except maybe Jenny... her self rightous attitude toward those of us with NORMAL lung capacity is really grating sometimes.

Just kidding about Jen; she's great and we all love her.

Local conditions aren't right for shore diving at the moment, and except for some brief windows where the surf and visibility cooperated we've been dry for about six weeks. Our local dive shops are hurting because of it. The boats have been going when possible, and I've heard the visibility has been good to great (70 feet plus normal?). Water temperatures range in the high 78's right now.

Yeah I'm trying to get my weekly routine of diving off of commercial blvd going again but weather hasn't permitted that lately. I'm gonna be giving it a shot on Sunday again. You are more than welcome to join me. It'd be nice to have a more experienced diver around hehe. Thats why I like this place, you got people with all levels of experience and everybody learns something even if you think you are the best. Well let me know if you would be interested in this weekend. Or any other weekend for that matter. Gotta be Sundays though.

Mike, has it been six weeks already :confused: Man how time flies, no wonder I keep walking around with the shakes :D Yousi thought it was just the recent weather LOL.
Amelo if the weather allows and my regs are done with the check-up I may try to join you on Sunday.

Regards,

Juan

freedive once bubbled... Mike, has it been six weeks already :confused: Man how time flies, no wonder I keep walking around with the shakes :D SNIP...
Juan, you know that you can always just come by to body surf... it wasn't half bad one or two days over the last 45.

Thanks for the welcome everybody.

Not sure if I can make it Sunday, Amelo.....have final exams next week, and will probably be buried in books. If I burn out and decide to tag along, I'll drop you a line.

After the 15th I've got a good bit of free time....and my BC is waaay to dry for me to be comfortable.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
we've been dry for about six weeks

So it's not just me. I haven't been out since Halloween weekend. And I'm getting the shakes. :wink:

Tomorrow doesn't look any better - sustained winds of 25 mph with stronger gusts. Then showers into the weekend. :(

Marc

Hey Man,

If you want to check out the area a little N. of you, P.M. me for a Sunday or Monday drop. Welcome to SOFLA- the best of it's underwater.

Don

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom