New to South FL, looking for dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I've got you all beat. I haven't been out sinse September. Working on that darn boat of mine and the winds have just been nasty lately. I was going to try to make it in the water Thursday but that doesn't look good right now either. 7 foot seas...makes me sick just thinking about it. LOL

ReefTrekker...What days are you available to dive? I work nights and weekends so I'm always looking for a buddy that can dive during the week. I have Tues, Wed, and Thur's off so if you're available get your gear together and you can join Scubanitrox2000 and I next week if the weather improves. Not sure exactly where, or with whome, we're going to go with yet but if you're interested let me know and I'll keep you informed. If anyone else is interested in trying to go, as always, you're all welcome.

BTW, where exactly in Texas are you from? I was stationed in Abilene for several years when I was in the Air Force. Not much to see or do way out there in the West Texas desert but the people sure were nice.

Welcome to South Florida.

Scott

PS. Latest update on the boat. I'm puting the engine back in it this AM and if all goes well over the next couple of days (God willing and the creek don't rise) It maybe in the water by next week. After a few days sea trails it should be ready for a couple of shallow reef dives. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress because with as long as I've been talking about this boat sure as hell someones going to want to be there to see if it actually floats. :wink:

Sorry guys, my schedule is shot until the end of next week....

Scott, the only time I have free next week is Thursday after about 11 am.....and that's not definite. Let me know if you're going out and I'll see if I can weasel my way out of any responsibilities that afternoon.

I'm from east Texas.....waaay over near Louisiana. Thick pine forrests, nothing like Abilene. And yeah, the people over there are really nice. The people here seem to be too, except I've learned to be cautious of certain people with out of state plates....some of them bite when provoked.

Oh, and I'm sure all you guys know the Key Largo sites well, but I wanted to share something I ran across. The north end of French Reef has a site called the "winch hole". GREAT place to see a few reef sharks. I got a decent sized blacktip on video 2 weekends ago......also saw the largest spotted eagle ray I have ever seen.
The marine life in the waters here is fantastic......I had no idea what I was missing!!

The marine life in the waters here is fantastic......I had no idea what I was missing!!

Now you know why we live here!

Padipro once bubbled... I think I've got you all beat. I haven't been out sinse September. Working on that darn boat of mine and the winds have just been nasty lately. ...SNIP
So who DOES an instructor go to for a skill review? Good luck on the boat... we're all eagerly awaiting pitching into the gas & oil fund.

Jeremy, beach diving here often couldn't be much simpler unless they had people to carry your gear in and out for you. Basically, the steps are:

1) pick a good day... it's not true that the worst day beach diving is better than [fill in the blank]. Life is too short to do bad beach dives (unless you're looking for shark's teeth in Venice; then it's expected lol). It pisses you off and silts up your gear.

2) Dive early... earlier is almost always better than later, but make sure the sun is well up - it improves visibility quite a bit.

3) Find parking. Most either park at Datura (1 block south of the Commercial pier) or drop their gear and find a spot on El Mar Drive (just a short walk, even with gear on). You will need $4 in quarters to be safe.

4) Gear up on asphalt and walk directly to the water. When exiting, walk directly to the showers without dropping anything in the sand. In other words, minimize sand. Put fins on and take them off in about 4' of water with your mask on and BC filled. Kick out almost to the bouys, drop down and head east for about 30 yards... turn north or south and enjoy. There's more to it but the first reef line is often as good as it gets.

5) Good days have no waves, but if there are any just take them sideways. If waves are an issue, find something else to do because visibility will be poor.

6) Keep your flag at about 15' -17' because that's how deep you'll be. Hover over the reefs rather than hug the bottom - you'll see more and won't damage the georgians or sponges. Move slowly and look carefully at details - you'll miss eel, spanish lobster, octopus, reef squid and other life if you rush.

On a summer's day I'll typically see up to 6 nurse sharks (all sizes), spotted and/or little brown morays, and of course all the reef fish (doctors, triggers, parots, etc). Depending on the season it's a common treat to also see a large moray, reef squid, turtles, and other creatures - this is all on the very first line of reef.

I'm not sure of the best times of the year for beach diving, but this summer was fantastic and so far fall & winter have sucked! Watch this board for diver reports and local network weather reports. Generally, west wind means good conditions and east wind doesn't.

ReefTrekker once bubbled... Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Seems like a really outgoing and friendly group!

You mentioned conditions aren't great for shore diving.......when are they typically good? Where I am from, most shore dives consisted on wading into a lake, and the only thing affecting visibility was rain or open water students......(except for mine, naturally :)

The boat diving scenario is one I am routinely familiar with, but I'm hoping I can get this "beach diving" thing figured out.....

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
So who DOES an instructor go to for a skill review? Good luck on the boat... we're all eagerly awaiting pitching into the gas & oil fund.

I guess I'm qualified to do my own skills review. :confused:

Boat update...Engine is in and running. Just need to install the outdrive and rig the cables and it'll be ready. :bounce:

Kirk and I (Eric) are interested in doing some beach diving as well. I have never done it, just been jumping in off of commercial dive boats, and Kirk is a fairly new diver. We live in Aventura, and would like to meet some divers at the beach sometime. I monitor this board frequently, so let me know if anyone needs a buddy sometime.

I usually have weekdays off with the occasional weekend. Kirk has the weekends to dive.

We'd appreciate an invite sometime to get involved with the group.

Thanks!

Mempilot

mempilot once bubbled...
Kirk and I (Eric) are interested in doing some beach diving as well. I have never done it, just been jumping in off of commercial dive boats, and Kirk is a fairly new diver. We live in Aventura, and would like to meet some divers at the beach sometime. I monitor this board frequently, so let me know if anyone needs a buddy sometime.

I usually have weekdays off with the occasional weekend. Kirk has the weekends to dive.

We'd appreciate an invite sometime to get involved with the group.

Thanks!

Mempilot

Another weekday diver!?! Fantastic, keep me in mind the next time you're planning on heading out. I'm always looking for a buddy during the week.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom