New to spearfishing. Need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am going to golf shores AL. and need to know what license to buy to legally spear. I am also looking for locations to go to. I only free dive I have gear already and a 32" A.B. Biller stainless steel professional. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

1. Alabama Saltwater Fishing License
  2. Alabama Spearfishing License (yes, you need both)
  3. You can freedive the Alabama Point / Perdido Pass Jetties, and probably run into another freediver or two.
  4. Look up the dive shop in Gulf Shores and ask about the Whiskey Wreck for directions, and basic intel.

A 32" gun may be okay for inshore flounder, maybe smaller sheepshead if you can get close, which you can probably do without scuba, but it's really too small for most of the target species in this area. Most Scuba Spearos shoot a 48" Biller MINIMUM. You need it for distance and power. Distance won't be as much of an issue for a freediver, but power will be. Minimum length for a railgun would be 90cm. I think I shoot a 100cm gun iirc, but most people around here do not shoot railguns because they're harder to load, and the fish are big (you need to stone or finesse a big fish with the thinner railgun shafts).

Remember Redfish and Specks are off-limits to spearing.

1. Alabama Saltwater Fishing License
  2. Alabama Spearfishing License (yes, you need both)
  3. You can freedive the Alabama Point / Perdido Pass Jetties, and probably run into another freediver or two.
  4. Look up the dive shop in Gulf Shores and ask about the Whiskey Wreck for directions, and basic intel.

A 32" gun may be okay for inshore flounder, maybe smaller sheepshead if you can get close, which you can probably do without scuba, but it's really too small for most of the target species in this area. Most Scuba Spearos shoot a 48" Biller MINIMUM. You need it for distance and power. Distance won't be as much of an issue for a freediver, but power will be. Minimum length for a railgun would be 90cm. I think I shoot a 100cm gun iirc, but most people around here do not shoot railguns because they're harder to load, and the fish are big (you need to stone or finesse a big fish with the thinner railgun shafts).

Remember Redfish and Specks are off-limits to spearing.

So you think a railgun shaft is weaker than say a 48" biller shaft?

My railgun shaft is thinner than my 48 Biller's (at least it looks thinner).

That said, I've bent biller shafts, and I've yet to bend a mako shaft, even though I've shot bigger fish, and had harder fights with it. I like to think it's my skill that's kept me from making a bend, but I'm open-minded.

Thank Los for the info I'm goin over there for spring and haven't used my speargun yet. And I'm hopin one night I will be able to get dinner for my family

I would still say 90cm is too short but thats a general statement for gulf spearing. Range is a function of shaft length as it penetration. You will want a bigger gun than that 32" on day 1. Dive shops on the Gulf shouldnt even have guns that sized IMHO.

My railgun shaft is thinner than my 48 Biller's (at least it looks thinner).

That said, I've bent biller shafts, and I've yet to bend a mako shaft, even though I've shot bigger fish, and had harder fights with it. I like to think it's my skill that's kept me from making a bend, but I'm open-minded.

They are stronger. Not unbendable, but stronger than SS shafts in my experience.

Make sure its an apples to apples comparison. Many railguns use different alloys than the Spring Stainless Steel used in billers and Ocean Rhinos. Also, longer shafts will be bent more easily than shorter shafts, think leverage. Next of course is how you put pressure on the shaft while the fish is fighting. If you have tension on the back of the shaft while the fish is fighting on the front, then its much more likely that a shaft can get bent. 40lb grouper bent way more shafts than 80lb AJs because they always manage to hit the back of the shaft on the reef..... at least thats what I hear. I, of course always stone all my fish so I never lose gear or bend shafts..... :wink:.

I would still say 90cm is too short but thats a general statement for gulf spearing. Range is a function of shaft length as it penetration. You will want a bigger gun than that 32" on day 1. Dive shops on the Gulf shouldnt even have guns that sized IMHO.

There is no comparison between the range and power of a 32" Biller and a 90 cm railgun.... you know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom