New to sport looking for good fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyJust wondering what type of fins to get. I am a new diver and am just finishing up my ow certification course. I weigh about 250lbs and am very heavy in to weights. I have been told to get a very stiff fin as my legs will tire to easy with a more flexible fin. Just wanted to know if this was true, and also any recommendations for what type of fin. Must be open heeled. have been looking at the Tusa platinas but not sure if they are stiff enough, haven;t had a chance to get to the LDs.

Thanks

Steve

IMO, and a lot of people agree with me, a stiff fin is the way to go. The stiff fin lets you fin slowly to maintain a good pace and gives you better control. Small, deliberate fin movements produce actual movement. When you start pumping your legs with a stiff fin, you really start moving.

In contrast, a softer fin (or a split fin) requires you to move your legs far more quickly to produce any real movement, and small fin movements do almost nothing. The experience is sort of akin to riding a bike at speed on a high gear vs a low gear.

My fin of choice is the SP Jet Fin.

The most recent issues of Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine had a ranking of open-heeled fins. Their top five, in order: Apollo Sports Black Bio fin, Atomic Aquatics SplitFin, Atomic Aquatics Liquid Blue SplitFin, Mares Volo, Tusa X-Pert Zoom.

Michael

Mares Quattro, you'll never need another, can be used in any type of environment ( from warm/cold water deep/shallow & gives great thrust in currents).

IMO a split leaves much to be desired in strong currents and the volo is probably the best for warm water/tropic environments (not cold water deep dives).

Just my personal opinion.

It's always worth looking at Force Fins, they make some really hard versions and they have great power to effort ratios.

they also can be quite short good for traveling and great to look at.

=-)

I recommend trying force fins FIRST, before you purchase.

You'll either love 'em or hate 'em.

Either Mares Avanti (or their identical twin - the Genesis Aquaflex) or Quattro fins would serve you well. Both are power fins and are very adaptable to a wide variety of situations. They are also very effective in either a flutter kick or a frog kick.

diverUp once bubbled...
I recommend trying force fins FIRST, before you purchase.

You'll either love 'em or hate 'em.
Sure thing, try before you buy is always a good idea, if you can find a diver that has a pair and trade for a dive or at least a swim around, they are best wehn used under water or on your back at the surface.

I bought them un tried as my wife sware that they were it when it comes to fins and .. it seems she was right they are great .. would love to buy a second pair with wiskers

Back
Top Bottom