Swimming pool fins for alternative kicks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calatinus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!

So I got the TUSA Hyflex Switch Pro fins for open water; love them. Great stiffness, not too floppy, nice control, and nice power-to-effort ratio (for me, that is).

For swimming pool training sessions, I use Aqualung Stratos III closed heels fins. They're very good for what I've been using them for so far. But we're getting at a point where we're starting to learn more alternative kicks and manoeuvres, such as frog kicks, backward kicks, and helicopter turns.

The Stratos fins are just too flexible for that, and maybe too long. I could theoretically use the Hyflex fins, but it would look kind of ridiculous bringing diving boots and open heeled fins to a tropically hot swimming pool.

Any advice for fins that can be used barefoot in swimming pools, and are perfect for trying out / learning alternative kicks?

Thanks!

C

it would look kind of ridiculous bringing diving boots and open heeled fins to a tropically hot swimming pool.
Not at all. Better to train in what you'd use later on in the sea. If I were doing pool training, I'd show up with a dry suit, boots, heavy tec-style fins, etc. I think this would be expected.

Is this like just-swimsuit-and-fins training in a public pool, no scuba gear involved? Then I can see the pool policy being relevant/onerous. (Also it seems difficult to learn back-kick etc on the surface...) Obviously, check with your instructor, but if you are required to go down this route there are full foot scuba fins -- like the Mares Avanti Quattro is available in a full foot version. I don't think it makes sense to get one of those just for pool training though, so this would be if you are going to go tropical diving and not use a bootie? I've never done that, and you likely won't be doing it locally in Belgium... :p If you're training with a club, does the club/instructor have a recommendation or something for loan?

I would start without fins. I practiced back kicks and heli turns with no fins after swim practice for weeks before and after I took fundies. Back kicks I started on the surface holding on to the edge of the pool, looking forwards. When I could comfortably do 3-4 kicks and go backwards, I started doing it on a breath hold at the deep end of the pool with a mask. The tricky part is exhaling the right amount of air so your neutral in the water. Do a few kicks and return to the surface for air. I also did this with short swim training fins, they’re similar to no fins but with extra thrust. Longer fins you have to be careful of the recovery phase of each kick, taking it slow, extending feet without pushing yourself forwards…

Hi all!

So I got the TUSA Hyflex Switch Pro fins for open water; love them. Great stiffness, not too floppy, nice control, and nice power-to-effort ratio (for me, that is).

For swimming pool training sessions, I use Aqualung Stratos III closed heels fins. They're very good for what I've been using them for so far. But we're getting at a point where we're starting to learn more alternative kicks and manoeuvres, such as frog kicks, backward kicks, and helicopter turns.

The Stratos fins are just too flexible for that, and maybe too long. I could theoretically use the Hyflex fins, but it would look kind of ridiculous bringing diving boots and open heeled fins to a tropically hot swimming pool.

Any advice for fins that can be used barefoot in swimming pools, and are perfect for trying out / learning alternative kicks?

Thanks!

C
I show up to my heated nehigborhood pool with Jetfins and booties 1-2x a week (I typically do 3-4 days of swimming a week). I hate the closed heel pool fins, particularly on a longer session like a 3200. At least at my pool, the staff are fine with it. Nobody else seems to notice, they're too busy doing laps.

Overall though, I'd recommend fins for days with a specific purpose like working on your time endurance or something. I've got physical therapy reasons for finning as well. Other than that, you're going to get more out of swimming with no fins.

I tried swimming laps in scuba fins - Cressi frog fins. They were too much to handle easily. I’m certainly not going to swim with Seawings either. I own a pair of Finis training fins for the pool if I’m not in kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom