New to the board- Hi Everyone-Love the board! Need car rental advice please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you guys are great help, thanks for the replies. One other Question, do they (car rental co.) require you to purchase their insurance? I have State Farm stateside, don't know if I'm covered in another country?
If you don't get the local rental car insurance, then have a problem - you'll wish to hell you had! True, the rates are high, but it beats dealing with complications, in Spanish.

Isis cars include insurance at a lower rate than airport cars will cost. For the length you will want one, probably worth the trouble to take the van to their office if their cars are big enough for you.

You won't be covered by stateside insurance or your credit card's insurance. You really need the Mexican insurance. Unfortunately, it's expensive. It can double your rental costs.

I agree with Mike about waiting a couple of days as well as agree with mstevens regarding Rentadora Isis. The rates she will give you include full coverage. Very reasonable and very honest!

We have been renting from Thrifty for the past couple of years. You can book online, but can't prepay. In the summer, you can usually book a Nissan Tilda( US Versa) automatic for about $15/day. However, full insurance with $0 deductible will run $35-$40/day. You can get cheaper by going for the 10% deductible, but we don't feel it's worth the few bucks you save, just for the peace of mind. We have never gotten a car that had more than 12K miles or had a mechanical issue. With a reservation, they will have a rep meet you at the airport as you come out the door in front of the shuttle vans. They also don't have a problem with you taking their cars on the car ferry to the mainland if you want to make a trip there. Transcaribe has been running a pretty consistant special of about $32 each way.

You won't be covered by stateside insurance or your credit card's insurance. You really need the Mexican insurance. Unfortunately, it's expensive. It can double your rental costs.
Actually, you can get credit card coverage by declining the rental insurance, but that can backfire. I would not risk it.

Wow, you guys are great help, thanks for the replies. One other Question, do they (car rental co.) require you to purchase their insurance? I have State Farm stateside, don't know if I'm covered in another country?

This is a very complicated subject. I wouldn't advise you to use this forum as advice for this. I would contact the rental car company you choose directly and speak to a representative about exactly what is and isn't required. I would also contact your credit card company directly and see what they will and won't cover.

No matter what coverages you get, there is still a Mexican gotcha if you get in an accident and injure a local. You will go to jail until you pay his lost wages or the judge sets you free.

Email margarita at rentadora isis. She responds quickly. All insurance is included. If something did happen i trust her that i wouldn't be scammed , just pay for damages. As for it being a small island and only need to go to one side- Really- go to east side for a day and enjoy the beutiful beaches and restaurants along the way. Check tripadvisor cozumel for lots of good info.

Have you booked the hotel already? I've found the best deal is to book through Orbitz for a hotel/ car package and the cost is usually equal to or even less than the hotel booked alone. The cost of the car is basically the insurance costs. To answer your other question, you are required to have liability insurance in Mexico through the Auto Rental company. Its usually included in the price. But you would be wise to purchase additional liability as the required amount is minimal by US standards and may come up short if you do have an accident and hurt someone. The collision damage waiver (CDW) is not "insurance" it is a daily fee amount agreed to between you and the rental company to release you from responsibility if you wreck their car. Most people purchase this for if you don't they won't let you leave the country until you come up with the funds in cash. Your insurance on your credit card or home insurance carrier may cover this, but you still will need to produce the funds in Mexico prior to leaving and then get reimbursed when you get home. If you have an Amex card they have a special program you need to sign up for that charges a flat ~$20ish fee for up to ~40 days of Damage Waiver coverage. This is way cheaper than the $25/day most of the Auto agencies charge. I would only use this option with a name type auto agency, ie Hertz, Avis ect. I've used it with Avis in Cozumel several times. Never had to make a claim, but the Avis people knew of the program and agreed that in the event of an accident, they would charge the damages including up to a totalled car, to your Amex card rather than need cash, and I would settle the claim with Amex upon my return. If you go down this road you have to use your Amex card to purchase the car rental or even the entire package if it includes a car.

Good luck finding the option that works best for you. Being that far south on the island you will have a much better time having the car and the flexibility to explore.

Rich

All I say to the topic: Avoid CP Rentals!!!

I used them for one day only. I was a walk-in customer and rented a Chevy Monza. Their cars are all scratched up on the outside so before renting they mark up the rental damage sheet all over. I wish I had taken pictures of the whole car. When returning I was a little surprised how 'diligent' they checked the car for new damage. Running a hand all around the car, feeling for newly chipped paint. It was a bit overboard, esp. given all the scratches the car had already. Obviously, they found something 'new' and they tried to stick me with a charge for a little scratch on a back bumper. I had no idea, if it was new or not, it was barely visible. I wasn't rear ended or backed into anything.

It was just weird, I didn't like the whole experience... It really felt like a scam. They wanted US $60, I got them down to $20, and let it be... Will never rent from them again!!! Will stick to US major rental agencies only from now on.

PS: Wonder if anybody else had a similar experience with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom