New TSA Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal opinion.. everybody try to bring liquids. Pack them in your carry ons and slow up the security check. Make it difficult for TSA.

Then, when you get on the plane, ring for the flight attendant every 30 minutes for water. Can you see that? 150 passageners asking for water every 30 minutes. Shut down the system.

Just more window dressing at the airports. I am no safer on a plane today as I was on Sept 10, 2001.

That is my opinion. Of course I am not going to do that.

Once TSA sees this as being a joke, it will go away.

Jamdiver:
I wonder how long these new regulations will be effect.

I know a lot of travellers keep their personal effects/toiletries and other items in their carry on luggage to help reduce the weight of their checked luggage (which has a 50lb limit in most destinations)

I can see a lot more persons having to pay overweight baggage fees now.

Good point Jam. I'm sure that checking everyone's carry ons would have put a lot of people over.

I was just watching on CNN women dumping hundreds of dollars worth of make up into bins. There was one guy, a college student, who was complaining about having to dump his $30 hair gel...:D

JacobK:
Once TSA sees this as being a joke, it will go away.

government agencies rarely have a sense of humor unfortunately....

maybe the terrorists were really just having fun (like the taking the shoes off episode)- knowing shampoo and toothepaste would be banned, they know everyone will be travelling with stinky breath and bad hair for the next few years.

Better yet, don't fly, I have given up on AA anyway unless required to fly them per business.
But with all the crap necessary to fly, I am thinking about driving to Cancun or Belize my next trip down, to hell with airlines. And with all that does get thru (dive knives in carry-ons have gotten to many a distant location when somebody forgot they were attached to bc) I don't really feel that much safer, just that much more put out. Only problem with driving is that drive time cuts into dive time :(

Diver Dennis:
Good point Jam. I'm sure that checking everyone's carry ons would have put a lot of people over.

I was just watching on CNN women dumping hundreds of dollars worth of make up into bins. There was one guy, a college student, who was complaining about having to dump his $30 hair gel...:D

Lol and I can see people scavenging through those garbage bins now and selling all that makeup second hand :14:.

I believe that carryon luggage is officially limited to 30lbs?? but most people go way over it and stuff everything next to the kitchen sink in it!

Diver Dennis:
They actually do sell all that stuff Jam.

Another mystery revealed...
How much is the weight limit on the airlines that you fly to the PI?

After a cursory examination of the TSA website, I do get the distinct impression that the ban on liquids/gels in carryon luggage will be permanent.....

Diver Dennis:
I wonder if they will stop the sale of water inside the security area?
Why do that when you can sell a product that you have to either drink fast or throw away. Sell the bottle of water then after it has to be thrown away, purchase something on the plane. they hit you twice, Yes I can see eventually charging for soda and if you want water it will be bottled and they will charge you. First they take away meals then the peanuts (some airlines) next will be the free shot of diet coke they give you.

LavaSurfer:
I would like to know the facts that took place in London because I just can't see taking down a 767 with a bottle of conditioner and a starbucks coffee but I may be wrong. McGiver could probably do it! :D

As for the packing of "Liquid Stuff" I typically pack it all in zip locks and hope for the best. Besides, who needs to shower, the fish could care less what I smell like.

I pack my dive knife in the checked luggage, as far as I know, that's still OK althought my last trip to Roatan I was forced to remove all batteries from my checked and carry on luggage. That was a new one on me. That also went for rechargables.

Pretty soon there are going to be NAKED flights where you are allowed to strip at security and then board the plane. I want a ticket on the hooters plane for that maden voyage.

My guess is they tried using methyl ethyl ketone peroxide. Check Wiki.
It is liquid and can cause a strong explosion. As I remember from the news, in the London underground attacks last year they used acetone peroxide which is a white solid that they made in a bath tub.
MEK peroxide is the same technology and liquid. Not quite as much energy in it, but enough perhaps. They might even have planned to mix it up fresh while on board, since many of the liquid explosives are very shock sensitive and hard to handle.
So I can understand that they are not allowing any liquids in any bottles on board.

We are very lucky that the UK authorities were able to keep one step ahead of this one. I am just wondering whether the day of planned attack was today. I mean it is 8/10.....maybe it was 8/11 in analogy to 9/11 and 3/11 (Madrid bombings).
They said on UK news that the authorities usually track until the plot is about to happen which is usually a few days before.

Instead of being annoyed and complaining about these new severe regulations I think we should be happy that we are not mourning casualties instead.

Jamdiver:
Another mystery revealed...
How much is the weight limit on the airlines that you fly to the PI?

After a cursory examination of the TSA website, I do get the distinct impression that the ban on liquids/gels in carryon luggage will be permanent.....

I fly Cathay and the limits are 2 checked bags @ 70lbs. and 1 carry on, max 15lbs. I always have 2 carry ons, all cameras and latop and they have never said anything but I do get to the front of the line to be one of the first on. My housing and all my other dive equipment except computers are checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom