New Watch Style Advanced Dive Computer from Scubapro for 2023! GALILEO 3 (G3)!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30 hours of dive time not watch time. It will go much longer between charging if used as watch only with no diving. 30 hours of dive time is actually very good.
30 hours of dive time is average. My aqualung i770r has about 30 hours., but yeah, 30 hours is sufficient.

"PDIS, Heart Rate Monitoring & Microbubble Levels take into account your previous data, your reported physical conditioning and your actual heart rate during the dive itself."

This looks like proprietary stuff again with mystical predictions. Looks like the same old same old to me. That display is entirely unimpressive for a new 2023 computer. I'm sorry but I am not impressed. Can't see anyone choosing that over a Shearwater (or Ratio) especially for tech despite their claims.
How did I know that you were a shearwater fan, lol. You know, there is life after perdix/petrel, right? (I hate the size of both)

How did I know that you were a shearwater fan, lol. You know, there is life after perdix/petrel, right? (I hate the size of both)

I don't like the size of the Perdix, either. I love my 2 Terics!

I don't think making it public would help them at all. I think it would be much more likely that lifting their skirt would just result in everyone else picking at the details and using the info to slam them. "See what they're doing right here? That is bad."

From the point of view of a diver who wants to completely and thorougly plan their dive, the ScubaPro algorithm poses a big problem: There is no way to actually plan a dive. At least, not a dive that involves any mandatory decompression.

I don't know the details of their algorithm, but I am completely confident that when their heart rate monitor (for example) makes an adjustment to your NDL, it never makes it longer. I.e. it never tells you that you can stay down longer than what the baseline algorithm would predict. I'd bet money that it ONLY uses that data to shorten your NDL, in cases where SP engineers have determined that whatever you're doing is going to make you more prone to DCS.

For non-deco dives, it's okay. You can plan, for example, a 30 minute dive, and if the dive is cut short, that's not going to hurt anything (except maybe your feelings).

But, for deco dives, it is absolutely NOT okay. If you plan a dive with 30 minutes of bottom time and then 30 minutes of deco on the ascent, you have planned exactly how much gas you need in order to make that 30 minute dive and 30 minute ascent.

If your computer then says "ooo! Your heart rate was really elevated during a lot of that bottom time. You need to do more deco before you get out" that means that all your gas planning is now out the window. If your computer now says you need 40 minutes of deco, do you have enough gas?

That unpredictability from the computer/algorithm is why no diver that thoroughly plans their dive would use it. We need computers/algorithms that are completely predictable. We want to be able to do planning on our laptop computer, tablet, or phone, and know that the plan we come up with and the plan the dive computer generates in real time during the dive are going to exactly match (assuming we actually dive exactly according to the plan).

It seems like you are not catching that yes, they offer their proprietary algorithm, but they also offer Buhlmann with gradient factors. You just have to go into the settings and change it to use GF if that's what you want.

I can understand why they want to add GF to their computers. I can also understand why they would want to also keep their ADT MB (or whatever it is) algorithm in there. If they just dropped ADT MB, that would be quite a slap in the face to all their existing customers who bought into the SP Marketing literature that convinced them that ADT MB is better/safer. A person who bought a heart rate monitor and uses it with their SP computer during dives might be kinda pissed if they suddenly saw that SP is not offering that algorithm anymore. Like, "I spent all this extra money on this crap and now you're saying that it's bogus and I don't need it?!"

I think it's a big step in the right direction that ScubaPro is adding Buhlmann w/Gradient Factors to their computers. Now they need to add the ability for their computers to read their own transmitter AND/or read a PPS transmitter.

Personally, I am extremely unlikely to buy one of their computers, even if it had GF and could read PPS, as long as it's anywhere near the price of a Shearwater. But, some people simply do not have good access to buying other brands. I have a new tech student right now that lives in an area where the only good scuba shop is a ScubaPro Platinum dealer. They only sell ScubaPro. My student wants to support their local shop and generally buys their gear there. I would not fault them for buying a G3 to use going forward in tech diving, on that basis.

There is always "what is the best". But, sometimes, there is "what is good enough".
Are you kidding me? "If you plan 30 min bottom and 30 min ascent but computer tells you you need 40 min ascent, this is not ok" - are you ****..ng me? First, it is amazing to have computer tell you that you MAY need longer deco because of your heart rate! Omfg! Second, if you plan your dive so closely on your gas than I NEVER want to dive with you! Wow! Sorry for harsh tone

I don't like the size of the Perdix, either. I love my 2 Terics!
I am really enticed by garmin because of its activity stuff - the reason I want g3 is because then I would get my scubapro lifetime guarantee and service on my regs. (Shop told me I need regs, bcd and computer from sp to get it)

Are you kidding me? "If you plan 30 min bottom and 30 min ascent but computer tells you you need 40 min ascent, this is not ok" - are you ****..ng me? First, it is amazing to have computer tell you that you MAY need longer deco because of your heart rate! Omfg! Second, if you plan your dive so closely on your gas than I NEVER want to dive with you! Wow! Sorry for harsh tone

No, I am not kidding. That is how technical dive planning is done.

If you have enough gas to allow you to do a longer ascent, then why would you not plan your dive to use that in the first place?

Note that gas planning for technical dives does not mean that when you do it correctly you surface with 50 psi left in your tank. It means that when you do it correctly, and then the sh!t TOTALLY hits the fan during the dive, you have enough gas to get yourself and your buddy to the surface without getting bent. When the dive goes well, you surface with LOADS of gas leftover.

That means that if you plan for a 30 minute ascent, and you dive right to the limit of that plan, if you then have a 40 minute ascent to do, you will be fine IF nothing goes wrong. But, when, right as you start that ascent, the worst possible sh!t hits the fan, well then, now you don't have enough gas to get you and your buddy to the surface without omitting deco stops.

When you do the training for technical diving and you start building experience doing it, you learn (hopefully) how different physiological and environmental factors affect your deco. Then, YOU make decisions about things like starting up early to take on less deco than you planned for and allow yourself more deco time than what the original plan or new, reduced bottom time call for. Waiting until your planned bottom time is up and then finding that your computer decided you need more deco time than you planned for is not acceptable.

This is no different than doing a recreational dive and starting up with, say, 1000 psi left, to ensure you have enough gas for your and your buddy both, if they go out of air just when you start up. If you are the type to use more gas than that and NOT keep enough in your cylinder to accommodate yourself and your buddy in an emergency, then not diving together in the future is a mutual feeling. Using your buddy's gas (that you're carrying in your cylinder) because your computer decided that you need to stay down longer is not acceptable (to me, anyway).

30 hours of dive time is average. My aqualung i770r has about 30 hours., but yeah, 30 hours is sufficient.
30 hours dive time would be sufficient. That’s not how it was worded in SP’s specs. It was worded as up to 30 hours…. That would imply less could be expected. Who knows, though.
I am really enticed by garmin because of its activity stuff - the reason I want g3 is because then I would get my scubapro lifetime guarantee and service on my regs. (Shop told me I need regs, bcd and computer from sp to get it)
I’m sorry, but that’s pretty ridiculous. I had to look it up to be sure that you really needed to buy all 3. Just be sure you are clear on what you get. The way I read it, buying all three only gets you the parts for life. The lifetime warranty is separate, and I’m pretty sure you’ll be paying for labor at service time.

Other companies offer free parts, but usually without the requirement to buy a BC and computer made by them as well.

Buy a computer that is not the one I want just to save a few bucks on parts kits years down the road...? Definitely not how I would prioritize my computer purchase. But, you do you. Just 'cause I wouldn't doesn't mean it's wrong for you.

It's not like ScubaPro service kits are expensive or need to be serviced very often.

My ScubaPro regs are around 5 years old now. They haven't been serviced yet because they haven't needed to be serviced for any reason.

The Scubapro parts for life program has many restrictions. You must service your equipment at the required intervals or lose the program. Back in the day that was yearly. I have not followed it and do not know the details of the current program.

In the past, I liked my Scubapro regs and BC but would never have bought a Scubapro computer. Now, I could probably get along with the Luna 2 Air but their offerings are still pretty limiting. However, the brand specific transmitter is a reaI downside. I have no inclination to dive one of their Buhlmann ZH-L 8 or 16 ADT MB algorithms. The fact that they are now offering Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors is very telling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom