New Wreck In Picton!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StatusMaker

Reaction score
Sorry About the caps locks divers but this is a beautiful wreck.

For the last several weeks we have been diving a wreck in the point traverse area of Picton Ontario. This is a unidentified wreck at the moment and is beyond recreational diving skills.

If you would like to see some of the pictures of the wreck you can visit Doug Arnbergs site http://oms.sub-aquatic.com for more pictures. The link can be found on the left side of the page under underwater imaging (new wreck Gallery).

We first dove the wreck on August 1st 2004. On August 2nd I did my first dive on the wreck. When we finally cleared the haze of algae at about 103 feet you looked over your left shoulder straight down and you saw the whole wreck. It was truly a sight that I have never seen before.

The very first thing besides the visibility was the masts, they are both standing upright, the stern mast starts in 106' of water and has a crows nest still attached. The second mast starts in 118' of water. The top of this mast is actually in the silt on the starboard side of the wreck near the anchor. There are very little mussels on this wreck.

The deck is in roughly 155' of water with the bottom of the lake at 171'. One of the outstanding views on this wreck is the bow sprit which is completely intact. Actually pretty much the entire wreck is completely intact. There is a small hole in the decking near the front holds and mast to the port side. Railings are all there and most of the deadeyes are in place.

The stern has the decking and crews quarters still in place. The wheel is there along with both life boat davits in the rear.

There really is so much to describe about this wreck at the moment. I can conclusively say we were not the first people on this wreck though. There were some lines accross the deck and a grappling hook attached to one of the masts (stern) which was wrapped around the mast.

To date we have completed around 20-25 dives on the wreck taking pictures (well I wasnt) and some video. This is truly an amazing wreck. Take a look at the pictures http://oms.sub-aquatic.com/cat.html?catid=62&group=62 there will be more to come.

Darryl Koster

She is amazing Darryl. You guys did a great job taking pics and trying to find identification. I can't wait to dive her one of these days.

D330s1x its good that you brought that up. The wreck is in such good shape only drop lines should be used to dive it. An anchor dropped onto the wreck could literally damage so much of this pristine wreck.

As for the numbers, I was given then in confidence. I would not give them out to anyone until such a time as they were made public by someone else, or the divers who gave them to me gave me the nod to open it up (keeping a secret is why I was given the numbers in the first place).

Darryl..

PS. thanks Cobalt, it was great to meat you on the weekend.

Tom when you get out to see the wreck work your way to the bow and look down the bowsprit to the wreck. Its a ghostly image to say the least. Amazing. Also look at the bottom of the masts, there are interesting things to see (not that the entire wreck isnt) and look at the stern, its slightly curved and rounded. Its just breathtaking.

My wife (Beth, thanks for the pic by the way) dove with me on it the first time and she basically cheered when she saw it at about 105'. It has to be one of the most exciting images I have ever seen.

Darryl

I agree with you totally, poster material. Doug, you reading this? :wink:

I personally love the mast one. Its a completely unbelievable image. Breathtaking (even more so in person).

Darryl

My favorite is the one with the bowsprit - "New Wreck 1" at the bottom of the page I think?

I have a nice clear spot on my wall that would suit it...... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom