New Wreck In Picton!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesP

Your funny man realy funny, but always right on.

Mr A

Your right about unskilled diver impact. I guess its up to the boat owners and charter operators on who they bring out. We are extremely worried about the wreck staying in complete shape.

Our biggest fear, someone dropping an anchor anywhere on the ship. It would just do so much damage its unthinkable. The bowsprit itself is extremely fragile, the crowsnest is a prime target of anchors.

We are hoping to get it measured and documented before major damage happens.

Darryl

PS. It will be within your reach eventually, it really will be. Just take your time and become outstanding divers, get the proper training and enjoy yourself while doing it.

Hi

Don't count your blessings on this one staying intact as some of the worst divers I've ever seen and had the unfortunate task of working with are seasonal students divers who are involved in archaeological surveying, its like giving candy to a child eventually it gets to be a big mess. Its funny how these persons think there skilled enough to do the job of a commercial and or HIGHLY skilled technical diver. The surveying level is were most damage and removal of artifacts takes place. I beleave at times its best to keep these wrecks a secret and let fellow divers drule over photographs.

Happy pillaging

Mr A

Mr. Adams,

Just thought that I would let you know that there is light on the horizon. There are in fact a number of highly skilled NAS I divers in this area of both recreational and technical that are members of the GLUE club. Most are GUE Fundaments, Tech I as well as four Tech II members that hold the certification. Just goes to show you that you do not have to hold down a wreck with your knees to take a picture of it or take a measurement.

Safe dives,

Dan

Dan MacKay

Hi Dan

That sound great, its good to hear that the diving agency you represent at NTD offer such programs, and it will only lead to better more responsible divers diving on historically delicate wrecks. AAAA+++

Mr A

Mr Adams:
Happy pillaging

Mr A

I'm getting mixed signals here.........

So as long as I don't kneel on anything, it's OK to pillage, and I have to have fun doing it.

OK, I got it.

Lets go.

Sumthin' tells me todays preservists are just yesterdays pillagers.

"Don't touch the $hit I haven't taken yet" kinda thing.

LOL!

How one reads into our comments is an individual thing, but the final act is yours.

Mr A

And on that note I will exit my final act,....stage left.

Hope to get on it next year. Not literally "on" it, but maybe hovering over it a bit. Just incase though, please, no cameras :)

Steve

You shouldnt take anything off of a wreck. It ruins the dive for any future person on the wreck. Such as the Eccles, when I first dove it there was tons of stuff on it. Now, not near as much. Same as the olive branch, the annie, marsh, waome etc.

The crew that is currently diving this have all done underwater archeology studies before (and yes we have training by Peter E. and the gov. of Ontario).

We also know the importance of not touching the wrecks, hence the reason we will not invite anyone out to the dive again that we see kneeling on a wreck. We have contact with many great photographers and videographers within our group who can do the documentation of this wreck without touching it.

Dan I know your group at NTD is good at what they do yet they are not the only ones in Ontario that are capable of doing this type of diving. When you can make it out to the wreck we would be definitly interested in any measurements etc that you would care to share or join in on. The sooner we can get this done, the less stress there is for all of us that some important structure is going to be lost to history on this wreck due to negligence on anyones part.

After diving for many years, even those wrecks you thought would be there forever start to get ravaged not only by the environment they are in, but the divers that visit them. Take the Waome for example, and its a perfect one. It was torn apart by instructors of tech diving to allow their students to somehow be safer inside a wreck (wtf!). We cannot only blame it on them though, it was also ravaged by rec divers who did not know what bouyancy was and dropped down the bow line to find themselves plummetting through the two seats (park bench style) on the bow of the wreck. How many on this board even knew there were seats on this once amazing wreck? Or a captains qaurters with his shoes under the deck. It was truly a sight to be in "shock and awe" over.

Regards

Darryl Koster

In all seriousness now (As I am a continual jokester about most things) what has always kinda confused me is this "virgin wreck" thing.

It was a virgin, what, 4-5 years ago? So next year? it'll be opened up to the public. So in the mean time, the "surveyors/finders/etc" are secretly doing the initial raping under the guise of "science and preservation". To be sure they're probably doing some measurments and stuff, but really, big deal. It seems to be what I had said earlier, "Don't touch anything I haven't had a chance to bag yet". "And then when I'm done taking what I want, you guys shouldn't take anything that is left."

I dunno man.

Either way it doesn't matter much to me as it's an individual thing, which isn't controlable to a large extent.

I often wondered, on our local Tiller wreck, where it's been well known that NO ONE is to go inside the wreck, which included those that did the initial survey, know EXACTLY how the inside looks like! They can even document how the inside has changed over the last 2-3 years!

hehehehe

That's hilarious!

Lets get down to brass tacks and at least be honest enough to admit that damn near everyone steam-rolls over the legislation that governs these wrecks. I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying lets be honest here.

My home is open to all that would take a look at what I own from the underwater realm. How many reading this would be able to do the same without spilling a cache of great lake artifacts?

Thoughts?

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom