New Zealand Doctor Fights Off Shark, Stitches His Wounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming the wound wasn't cleaned? A bottle of Povidone-Iodine in the kit would have done nicely. Saline solution to irrigate and rinse any debris.

The news report left out the part where he poured vodka on his wounds
100 proof vodka is 50% alcohol which is not a very thorough disinfectant, so don't waste the hootch if you find yourself in a similar situation. Irrigate with clean water, then stitch, then follow with broad spectrum antibiotics. If he stitches his dogs hurt in pig hunts, I'm sure he carries what he needs.

they make em tough in Z-LAND.

Obviously a real Southern Man. When you are from the Deep South (NZ, not US) he'd be drinking Speights! To be a spearo in the water at Colac Bay at this time of year I'd have thought he would have frozen his balls off! But no obviously not! We breed 'em tough down under!

I can't believe he stitched it up without a needle and sutures. I know he didn't have them, because the article doesn't say he did.

Well:
"After getting rid of the shark, Grant swam ashore and stitched his cuts using a first aid kit he kept in his vehicle for when his pig-hunting dogs were injured."
The kit probably had needle and thread.
Kiwis can do anything with #8 wire - especially real Southern Men like this guy :wink:

Here's a taste of what Southern Men are like:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom