newbee question in regards to the rating system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minipinny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Minipinny here. I enjoy reading the discussions on this board. I find the topics interesting and informative. I do have one question in regards to the status system. Is it meant to tell other folks about your level of dive skills or is it the opinion of what others think of you. If it's the latter I feel a little apphrehensive in posting my questions if I am going to be judged in that manner.

I noticed with reading other threads that if someone says something stupid that there are those who will reply with a sense of disgust. Being a liberal minded person myself I think there should be some allowances for those who don't know any better or is just starting. out like me. Newbies go through a learning curve and I think they should be encouraged and commended for going into a wonderful sport such as scuba diving.

I hope I am wrong in thinking that and that everyone on this board is really friendly and helpful in sharing their experiences and knowledge. Please enlighten me.

i think status is more related to the number of posts you make, or if you have signed up for something like instructor, DM, supporting member...and people who post alot (SB Addicts)

post questions (as they say, there's no such thing as a stupid question), ignore any stupid responses...but remember, just because someone says it here - its not neceesarily good advice or true (or may may not be suitable for you) - always talk to your instructor or mentor if u have one///over time you'll realise who needs to be ignored and who to listen to !

Is this the rating system to which you refer?
http://www.scubaboard.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_user_title
If so, then it’s as stu said, strictly the number of posts you’ve made.

As for less than tolerant replies, some people are just like that, often hiding behind the anonymity this board allows. Sometimes, though it’s the limitations of the written word, without facial expression or voice tone that can make posts unintentionally seem insulting. Mostly though, I hope you’ve seen as I have, that the majority of the folks here try to be supportive.

I agree with stu; ignore the jerks.

Thanks Stu and Knotical for the clarification of the Status stars and about rude remarks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom