Newbie Help/Reading Material/Compressor Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djdalite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been reading through some of the threads and lurking in here. Im interested in learning more about setting up a system thats capable of filling 1 to 2 tanks at a time up to 5000psi. I would be going between a SCBA 97cu ft 4500psi tank and then various AL80s, AL100 and Steel 80,100's. Ideally I would like to be able to fill them all with a little saftey margin, I dont want to overwork the compressor. I would also want to be able to do nitrox, a bank system would be ideal but partial blending could also work (if it saves a lot of money).

Obviously I may be asking for a lot in one package but is there anything in $5000 price range that could accomplish my goals?

I'd like to read up as much as I can but the material seems few and far between, I thought I saw a post in one of the threads mentioning a book/guide. Any direction would be helpful.

As soon as you said bank bottles, you eliminated the smaller compressors that are not rated for continuous duty. So, short answer to the $5000 price point ... no ... not new. But, who knows in the used market .. you might be able to get there.

ok, so what about filling tank after tank in a reasonable amount of time? Or is it possible to do two at once?

im really unsure of solid brands other than bauer, not sure at which models/brands to be looking at in the used market

Filling individual scuba bottles one or two at a time should be no problem with the small compressors that aren't rated for continuous duty. It is filling bulk bottles that creates the problems so no amount of run for a while and then come back and fill some more will remove the stresses of high pressure for a long time.

As for used, there are a whole bunch of compressors out there. Bauer, Coltri and Rix (listed in alphabetic order) are OEM compressors .. meaning they use their own stuff. There are other companies that "blend" their systems using one company's pump and different brand accessories. So, going by brand isn't really the key to picking a good system. You really have to KNOW the unit you are considering.

A Bauer Junior II or similar or the same size Coltri is perfect for what you want. See my web site article about setting up my compressor. Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

Call me, I can set you up with a compressor that will run for 3-5 hours at 5 CFM and fill banks. No issue
I rebuild Bristol compressors and have about 85 remaining. < Sheldensportinggoods.com >
316-992-0505 Jim Shelden

I have been using a Bauer Oceanus for several years at home. I blend nitrox through it. It is rated by Bauer for a two bottle bank system. The difference with the Oceanus is the oiling system which is more robust compared to something like the Junior. It is also faster at near 5 cfm. I have had zero issues with the setup on three 4500psi and 4 2400psi bank tanks. I transfill the scuba cylinders in an order that minimizes the compressor time at high psi as best a possible.
You must use a synthetic oil if you are blending. I have been using Chemlube 751.
The whole reason for the Oceanus was portability/performance. It is a very light and portable compressor for the performance.
Also, when at home I run the compressor inside an air conditioned space so the compressor is in a 75 degree environment with fairly dry air. I also try to top up my banks before the really warm weather hits each spring.
Otherwise, if portability is not a concern, I don't think you can go wrong with Mr. Sheldens offerings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom