Newbie Looking at Aeris XR-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought an XR-1 as a bottom timer, and it's only so-so.

Per your questions,

1. Gauge mode and unit of measure are selectable. Gauge mode, however, has to be reset everytime the computer activates. So at least every dive day.

2. It does have a calendar. However, in gauge mode, dive logs are not maintained. Gauge mode is just that - a gauge. No logging.

Thanks Don. That's will do since I have a Vyper in gauge mode as my primary and the XR-1 I intend to get is for backup. The XR-1 is cheaper than the Uwatec or OMS bottom timer.

Cool. I use the XR-1 as my back-up as well, and in that situation it's fine. However, for a primary bottom timer, I'd be reluctant to recommend it. Just missing too many little features to make it convenient as a primary.

....however, has to be reset everytime the computer activates. So at least every dive day.

Just downloaded the instruction manual and had a brief read through. I think even without the reset, I can still dive with it in air mode and ignore all the deco info except the depth and the dive time. The worst I can get is a violation which turns it into gauge mode.

Does it beep when there is a violation?

Check out this thread. I did end up getting the Atmos 2 (with the slightly larger display) from ScubaToys - they were (and maybe still are) having a blow out on these. Be sure to mention ScubaBoard to get an additional discount!

Good Luck,
...steve...

My XR-1 is one of the few regrets I have in gear purchasing. I quickly out grew it, and realized that I should have just spent a little more. Now I have to dish out a lot more just to get one that isn't that much better. And my XR-1 developed a bad habit of eating batteries. I just shot off an email to Aeris to see what they will do about it and let everyone know.

I have done some research, and found some nitrox computers for $2-300, but compared to an extra $50-75 now its well worth it.

This one seems Ok, but i'm gonna do some research on it.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=VEO180

Jason.

There is also the xr1nx that is nitrox ready. It is cheaper than the xr2. Anyone using the xr1nx? I'm thinking really hard about buying one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom