** Newbie Looking for Gear Advice - Mask, Fins & Snorkel **

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I really enjoy snorkeling, and am looking to get some gear that can pull double duty - primarily for me to start off snorkeling, and then later to possible use for SCUBA diving after I get certified. I will really only be doing this in warm water. I have been doing a bunch of research online, and have come up with a few things that I would like for experienced people to comment on.... First of all, I live in an area with no local dive shops, so I am going to have to make my purchases online without trying them on....I know this isnt that smart, but that is another reason that I am looking for comments from you guys. I am going on a trip to the Carrib at the end of this month...

From what I have seen, I am looking at the following items:

MASK:
- Cressi Horizon or Matrix - both seem to have good reviews
- AguaLung Mythos or Kea - the Mythos seems to have good reviews, and the Kea is new?
-Mares X Vision - a lot of people on these boards seem to like them

FINS:
I want to use a Full Foot version, and I wear a shoe size of 9.5, or a 9 wide
- TUSA XPert Zoom FF-9 - this fin looks like it has great reviews, but because of my shoe size, I am kind of in-between their ML and the L size... Do these run wide, or narrow???
- Atomic Aquatics FF SF - this fin also seems to be on the top of the ratings I have seen, and it does come in a size rated as a 9-10, which seems like it would fit well
-Oceanic Vortex FF SF V-6 - once again, seems to get good ratings, and also comes in a 9-10 size
-Scuba Pro Twin Speed - seen some mentions of this fin as a good performer
-Apollo Bio Pro Uni FF SF - They seems to be the creators of the SF technology, and this is the Full Foot Version and come in a 9-10 size.

SNORKEL:
- Genesis Mojave Dry
- Oceanic Sonora Pro Dry Snorkel
- Ocean Master Dry Snorkel

The couple of Online stores that I have been looking at were the www.SCUBA.com and www.LEISUREPRO.com Does anyone feel that one is better that the other??

WOW, I just asked a lot of questions, and any input that you guys can provide to me will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!!

-Scott

Really the only piece of equipment that will vary to any appreciable extent between snorkeling and scuba diving are your fins.

Snorkeling fins, for the most part, don't have the requisite rigidity to drive a diver with scuba gear.

Depending upon your budget, but a pair of each. Otherwise, determine what type the majority of your diving will be and buy fins to suit that type of diving.

As far as your mask goes, I would not recommend buying a mask on-line. You REALLY, REALLY need to try on several masks and determine which fits you best and gives you the amount of vision that you deem necessary.

With respect from whom to purchase - well, I'm not even going to enter that fray !!!! it will start soon enough.

the K

Between the two, I prefer Leisurepro. Also take a look at divers direct or scubatoys.

I would go to a dive store and try on every mask they have, pick a dive store with lots of options. Choose several masks from the ones you try on that are comfortable and fit nicely then choose from those. Don't look at price or brand until this is done. Once you have a few that look nice, fit nice and feel nice then start looking at what is affordable, what brand you like and what features you want from the ones that fit. Remember fit and comfort are most important.

When choosing fins buy fins that suit your diving or budget. If you get cramps easily consider the split fins but remember these are usually more pricey.

If you want to look like a newbie buy a colorful set of gear. However, I recommend the Promate frameless mask for 35 dollars, EBay. The best fin for you would be the FF9 (excellent split) or the Mares Avanti Tre, 45 dollars from Leisurepro. Get the "extra large" (44-46). Buy a pair of IST 3 mm socks ($10 on EBay). About the Xtra Large, don't ask, it's Leisurepro's call.

The above fins outperform the expensive Uni. Mask choice is quirky but the frameless type is the choice of free divers. They are fine for SCUBa also. Promate makes a copy of the Scubapro model and it is excellent.

Agree you really need to try a mask on. And you should really do it with the snorkel in your mouth, as that changes the shape of your face. You might get lucky with fit, but you might not - actually good chance you will get a mask that fits adequately for snorkeling but not well enough for diving. If you really have no place to try a mask on, just accept that it may take you a couple tries. Maybe just order a couple at once with one shipping charge and send the losers back, instead of doing it one at a time. That way you can compare. If you search on this board you will find many descriptions of the proper way to check a mask for fit. (Where are you going on vacation? Some places could be well stocked enough that you might be able to try/buy masks there.)

Fins you may have a better chance of getting something that fits without trying it, and for snorkeling your fins will not matter that much. For scuba it's good to try some different fins and do enough research to get an idea of what you would like. You mention a couple of split fins - have you actually tried them? They are sort of the latest thing and marketed heavily, and some people love them, but other people really hate them. I'd buy a cheap pair of snorkel fins for now before dropping big bucks on split fins if you've never tried any. Also, note that for scuba many people wear strap type fins with booties even in warm water. There are some advantages to this - for example unless you only dive off boats, in many places you will want protection for your feet while you are getting to the water. Booties also provide more cushioning for your feet against blisters and such, usually less of a problem when snorkeling, but when diving and wearing all the gear your fins do more work.

As far as snorkels, the dry snorkels are great for snorkeling. For scuba, many people either ditch the snorkel entirely after certification as they get in the way and tend to make your mask leak. Or they opt for simple snorkels that are less bulky or even collapsible ones they can stuff in a pocket.

Why a dry snorkel? You are going to find that it is simply unsuitable for scuba. The tip of most of them is very large to accomodate the dry mechanism. When you snorkel this isn't a problem but when you are scuba diving the snorkel is simply hanging free and that large bulb on the top is going to be whacking you in the head as you move. I can't tell you how many of my scuba students who decide to go ahead and buy a dry snorkel get something else after doing one class with the dry one. A snorkel with a purge valve at the bottom works well for both sports. I don't snorkel very much but I've never had water come in the top of the snorkel unless I dipped or tilted my head so much I put the tip underwater. Some snorkels have a small plastic cap on the top, a shield if you will, that helps keep water from splashing in and it's streamlined enough to be suitable for diving.

Personally I went to Meijer and paid $3 for my snorkel in the clearance aisle (it even has a purge). Make sure the bore is at least 3/4 inch wide (borrow a tape measure from the hardware department if you have to) and the shaft should be between 12 and 15 inches long. The US Divers snorkels you see in Meijer and sporting goods stores usually work just fine :)
Ber :lilbunny:

Mask: This is important to try on since it may not seal on your face. I use an Oceanic Xsite all black.

Snorkel: Some people like flare here and you can spend money on a snorkel with a purge valve and a device to keep water out on top. Personally I prefer the all blue, opaque, "tube" snorkels that run 5 - 10 dollars.

Fins: I only use scubapro jet fins since in my opinion they are the best money can buy (but not the most expensive).

-V

I use Apollo Bio Pros and SP Jets, for different types of dives. For just a recreational dive where I will be cruising around looking at stuff, I wear the Apollos. They are very comfortable, very efficient, and fast as well. If I am doing more of a technical dive, maybe penetrating a wreck or something, where I will be doing lots of short quick turns and changes of directions, I wear the Jets. The splits will work for that, but to me, the Jets just are better suited for that type of diving.

For a mask, I have several, but seem to always fall back to my SP CrystalVu. It seals the best for me, so it is my first choice.

Just get a simple snorkel that you can easily move out of the way. The fancier you get, the larger it will be, and the greater chance it will get in the way or hung on something.

A lot of this is personal preference. Noone can say which fins, mask, and snorkel will be right for you. You need to try on the mask. Figure out what the majority of your dives will be like, and pick a set of fins to match. Save some money and get a simple, inexpensive shorkel.

Newto, you absolutely need a snorkel. Take it from an avid freediver. Find a proper old fashioned tube snorkel, black with an orange label on top. The best was made by DACOR. Stay away from complicated snorkels. They cause drag.

Back
Top Bottom