Newbie questions... Please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
I am an Avid SLR user on dry ground but would love to get into video underwater.

Now, Video is a whole new world to me and i am ultra confused. So, simply before I go persueing this any further, what sort of cashola am i looking to spend getting invested (right, an investment i tell myself) to get some decent equipment (housing, camera, lights software etc.) not looking for exact figures, just simple ball park figures.

If i do decide to do this I would like to get fairly good stuff that wont require upgrading for a while.

Ok, any help? thanks in advance

Well if you are looking to get into a system that will last you a while and not need upgrading, I would say you definitely need to go with an HD system.

Without giving a detailed quote, If you are looking at a Sony HC1 HD camera with a Gates or Light & MOtion housing, lights, monitor and any necessary accessories, you would be looking at a total in the $8,000-10,000 range...this is obviously the high end of the spectrum, but an all inclusive number to work with for high quality equipment.

As with photography, you can probably spend as much as you want on this hobby. :D

The High Definition (HD) recommendation will give you very good footage. There's also the new Sony HC3 which is quite a bit smaller than the HC1.

If you don't mind buying older, used equipment you can save yourself quite a bit of money. Of course, you run the risk of it breaking any time after you get it and probably have no warranty. But it might be a good way of getting your feet wet at first.

With patience and careful shopping, you can probably get started for under $1,000. Maybe even $600. It all depends.

A photography analogy would be: At what level would you be satisfied? Canon Powershot? 350D? 30D? 1Ds Mark II?

At $1,000 or less, you could get the equivalent of an old, well used 300D or an old Powershot.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need a fairly robust computer for editing HD footage, whereas many "normal" computers today are more than adequate for handling Standard Definition (SD) video editing.

Video editing software comes in many flavors and can be had for as little as $50 or less if you only need basic/uncomplicated editing functions.

Let's not scare the guy away. If you have the cash, fine, but if you are like most folks around here, $8-10k, is NOT the typical amount spent on a 1st system.

If you want a system to last, I agree go with an HD camcorder. Figure around $1300 for the Sony HC1 or HC3.

Matching housings, $1300-$3k+. The extra money gets you housings with more features, accessories and conveniences.

You don't need all the accessories to start. Monitors, optional lenses, lights can all be added later.

Basic editing software is less than $200.

Thanks for the help. After some reading it seems that maybe the best way to go for a camera is the DV or miniDV format? (second to HD right?) Am i correct in saying that this is completly digital? No tapes or DVD's? I think used will be a definite consideration for me to. No problems with that.

Codyjp:
Thanks for the help. After some reading it seems that maybe the best way to go for a camera is the DV or miniDV format? (second to HD right?) Am i correct in saying that this is completly digital? No tapes or DVD's? I think used will be a definite consideration for me to. No problems with that.

DV and miniDV are digital tape formats. I think there are a few camcorders on the market that use internal hard drives, but personally I'd stick with tapes or DVDs simply because it's a lot quicker and easier to pop in a new tape than to download your video to your computer to free up space before you resume shooting.

As for prices, as someone already pointed out, you can spend as much or as little as you want depending on your expectations and your budget. For ease of editing, you definitely want to go digital, but you don't necessarily have to go HD or 3CCD unless you really need professional results and can afford the top-of-the-line gear. I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder (about $600) and an Ikelite housing (about $650) for a total system price of about $1250, and I've gotten some very good results. Since I bought mine, prices have come down more and you can get a digital camcorder for as little as $300. However, since you'll probably have to pay over $500 for a housing no matter what camcorder you buy, you might as well shop around for a good camcorder. If you start off with one that's too cheap and decide to upgrade later, you'll more than likely have to buy a new housing too because housings are model-specific.

So with the DV or mini DV's how long does one tape last? How is it transfered onto the computer? I am so used to CF cards and usb cables for pics that i have no clue about this end of the business.

Can anybody sugest a good website for basic information?

Check out www.videoguys.com for some basic info, along with www.DV.com for the articles. Many will be over your head to start with, but I'm sure there are some intro articles in there, too.

For a "budget" system, I'd agree with eric in az. Get a mini-DV (or digital 8, but I prefer miniDV) camera and a relatively inexpensive housing. Lighting is a whole 'nother issue, however... I *think* your best, cheapest results will come from a $200 UK HID light canon, but it does have it's drawbacks. Of course, prices go up dramatically from there.

With digital footage on a regular mini-DV camera, you generally import the footage into your computer via a firewire cable. ($10-40 add-in card if your computer does not already have firewire.) Then edit the footage using your editing software, and then usually convert it to DVD format and burn a DVD (which can be simple or complex, depending on how happy you get with the menus).

Mini DV tapes last around an hour, if memory serves. See: http://www.shortcourses.com/video/chapter04.htm

One final tip: If you're serious about this, I'd consider a Mac. Even the cheapest ($600) will go a long way towards simplifying the entire computer side of the process for you.

Great recommendations and information so far. I suggest you take a look at the some of the videos people have posted to get an idea of capabilities of the camcorders out there.

1 ccd mini dv is very affordable right now and as long as you find the coloring acceptable, you can save a lot of money by not spending the extra $$ for 3 ccd mini-dv or HD camcorders.

I will have a look, i think it is doable though. Considering a housing for my Dig. Rebel is $1400 it seems that i could get a video camera/housing setup for the same or less. sounds good to me! Ronrosa, what do you use? neat stuff on your page!

Thanks for the help.

Compudude, thanks for the links, let the reading commence. also, hate to say, but just bought a really powerful Dell which works decent for runing photoshop. Just couldn't double my $$ for a mac. ughh..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom