Newbie questions re: Wisdom Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pilaar39

Reaction score
Warning: long post - grab a coffee :)

I bought a Sherwood Wisdom dive computer last year, and never got to use it until last week when I vacationed in Florida. I read the manual and thought I understood it until I actually got into the water!

The number one thing that I don't understand is the dive log. It says it logs up to 50 dives. I did 6 last week, and when I looked at the dive log, I only saw 4. Upon closer inspection, I now see that the logs are all there, but are marked somwhat unusual. I did 4 dives on April 10 and 11, and two dives on April 15. The log shows dive log sequence numbers of 2,1,4,3,2,1. I was expecting the sequence to be 6,5,4,3,2,1. At first I thought I had lost the logs for the first two dives, but now closely looking at the dive dates, I see they are all there. My question: why the screwing numbering for the dive logs!?

Question 2:
I was told when I bought this thing that I would not have to worry about calculating anything.. the computer did it all. Well, the one thing that I cannot seem to make it do is tell me how much surface time I need between dives. I was told that if I go to the PLAN screen, it would help me plan my next dive based on my surface interval. This does not seem to be the case, as the PLAN screen read the same before and after my first dive. Maybe I was not doing something right, or maybe I was misinformed on the Wisdom's functions and capabilities, but if someone knows differently, please tell me!
(I asked one of the dive masters on the boat about the surface interval before making the second dive, and he said because the second dive was always less than 30 feet, there was no concern, as at that depth, the whole dive essentially becomes one big safety stop. So, in fact, he said we really didn't need any surface interval between dives. I had never heard that before, and welcome comments on this from more seasoned and experienced divers. I am relatively new, with OW cert and about 22 dives to date)

Question 3:
After a dive, the computer displays a FLY:SAT screen. It shows how much time before I can fly and how much time before the nitrogen is out of my body (I assume). My question is what is the difference? From my limited experience, it generally shows a few hours for the nitrogen to clear, and usually about 24 hours until ok to fly. I guess I was under the impression that once the nitrogen is gone from my body, I was ok to fly, but this does not seem to be the case. Or is it a general rule of thumb to wait 24 hours until flying? One other thing about this guage.. once I press a button on the computer to view other screens, it returns back to the home or TIME display. How do I get it to return to the FLY:SAT display?

Question 4:
This computer goes into a 3 minute safety stop countdown at about 15 feet. This is fine and good, IF I stop at 15 feet. But when diving with a larger group and ascending up the guide rope, there is usually not enough room for everyone to hover at the 15 foot mark, so I end up stopping at 20 or 25 feet. At that point, the countdown counter does not engage. BUT, it will engage later when I eventually ascend to 15 feet. Having already made my safety stop at 20 or 25 feet, I naturally don't do another one at 15 feet. So, my computer thinks I zoomed past and did not make the stop. Is there anyway of forcing this 3 minute countdown to start earlier, or program it to kick off at 20 or 25 feet?

Question 5:
Is it just me, or are the alarms on this unit impossible to hear underwater? My wife who also has the same computer, said she did not hear them either. Sort of negates their usefullness.

Thanks... and please forgive the LONG post. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom