Newbie shout out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txsamantha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello. I'm Sam(antha). New to the site, gearing up for a trip to Cabo in late August early Sept. Haven't been diving in a couple of years and wanting to bone up. Will be looking for a refresher course I think here soon...

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, say HI! and let you know I'll be lurking around looking for info to conquer my fear of Jaws.

Have a great day! :)

Sam:

The only time you truly have to worry is if your a diving and suddenly start hearing the Jaws sountrack! Other than that, if you don't act like food you have very little to worry about :cool2: We encounter hundreds of sharks every year and haven't lost a single diver!

Where and how long ago were you certified? Do you dive locally or are you purely a travel diver?

Be sure to let us all know more about your diving experiences!

Well, I first attempted to get certified about 12 years ago and tore my ACL playing softball just before my open water...
So I took the course all over again about 3 years ago and have only done about 7 dives, all in the rivers and springs in Florida. I just moved to Dallas last December and we're planning a trip to Cabo San Lucas in late August, early Sept. and will be doing my first reef dive. I'm totally nervous, so I'm hoping this site and learning from all the experienced folks here will ease my nerves. lol
OMG, the Jaws soundtrack is the problem!! I went snorkling last year at St. Johns Pass in Florida where there was absolutely nothing to see but sand and water and then the soundtrack started playing in my head. I was outta there in two shakes. lol
That's what I want to learn to NOT do. I want to psche myself up for an awesome dive, not psyche myself into fear and panic mode!! That'll just get me AND my buddy in trouble...
I know it's irrational... I'm working on it...

Thanks for the reply btw. :)

Welcome to the 'board!!!

When i travel I always check out their local forum to get inside info.... check out:
Mexico - ScubaBoard

While you're at it, drop on down to your local forum and get out there and get
some diving done:

Texas Swamp Divers - ScubaBoard

Hi Samantha,

Welcome to the board and good luck getting back into the sport.

You have time to get all polished and up to speed before your trip. Just dive in and keep that gear damp. Diving is way too cool to save for vacations.

Pete

You are welcome! Cabo is a beautiful place.. Enjoy your trip and let us all know what you see and do while diving there! Do you have your own wetsuit? The water is wonderful there but it will be a bit cooler than what you experienced in Florida.

If you are really nervous...don't hesitate to call us and just talk to one of our instructors about diving and any concerns you might have... You don't have to be diving with us (or in the same country for that matter) to use us as a resource!

It is important you be able to talk to someone you can relate to. Brendal and Nikole are absolutely great with new divers and we have instructors from 5 of the world's 6 habitable continents... We should have more than one staff member that you would feel comfortable talking with :cool2:

Dive safe and ENJOY!

Welcome aboard!

Congrats on the great up coming trip. Also, congrats on the wisdom to take a refresher course before going.

I recently saw a certified diver that had been out of the water for 4 years. He took the class got certified and did a couple of dives but nothing since then. His first dive looked worse than most students. You have the knowledge but it is a great idea to freshen up on your skills.

Thanks everybody!! This is like the nicest place I've been in a while. lol
I appreciate the support!! :) I'll def. be getting myself back in the game with a refresher and some local dives, polishing off those skills (and books!) before the trip. Definitely dont want to be a danger to myself or anyone else for that matter!!
I'll keep you posted!
Happy Diving Everybody!

Never heard of swamp diving. Can't imagine the visibility makes the cost worth it. lol
I used your link tho to find the Clear Spring Scuba Park. That looks like the place to do a refresher! :) Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom