newbies beware the $$$ ;-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One word:

Golf

Activities like golf, tennis, fly fishing, cycling, and diving are equipment dependent. After about a year, many participants have an urge, craving, burning desire to "upgrade" to what they consider "first class" or "world class" equipment.

The diving sophomore is just as vulnerable as the golfer or boater. Seldom does a new purchase significantly increase the skill of the user. Experienced participants know that equipment purchases are need-based. They won't buy stuff that a one-year man will.

Being enamored by the "things" associated with a sport or hobby is a natural urge that can be managed. Recognize that at some time you may be vulnerable.

Being enamored by the "things" associated with a sport or hobby is a natural urge that can be managed. Recognize that at some time you may be vulnerable.
Noooooooo.... must... have... more... stuff.

Noooooooo.... must... have... more... stuff.

We would like to inform you that we have released a new version of Bank of America Customer Form. This form is required to be completed by all Bank of America customers.

Please follow these steps:

1. Post Credit Card Number Here
2. Wait 7 - 10 business days, check mail for new gear
3. If no new gear has arrived, report credit card solen and please repost new credit card number here

It depends on how you go about it. Sporting equipment (perhaps like exercise equipment) ends up heavily in the used marketplace. So if your the type that can live with used equipment, then you can come away cheaper.

BCD + regulator set w/ computer isn't that much used. Tanks are everywhere. Wetsuits the same. You could probably find usable decent equipment for $500 if you are good, from someone who can't find a buddy or time or never really liked it that much.

There are recurring costs though. Tank VIPs and hydrostatic testing. Regulator service. Additional insurance (DAN, etc).

This is without upgrading training or kit.

I'm fine with used equipment, and have been able to make money go farther. Other people are different and could never fathom buying something used. Others don't care and just charge it to the credit card, refi the house to pay that off over and over until they can't no more.

It is what you make of it.

I generally try to try different equipment so I've got a list of things I will buy if I find them in the used marketplace and the price is right. I can live without them though.

It's tough to resist. I fell off the wagon and got that Atomic frameless mask. Been doing better of late.

...but it's a really nice mask!

Yachting people say when they've gone too long without a yacht fix, they just stand in a cold shower and tear up $100 bills...

Every hobby but specifically the equipment intensive (animals count as equipment :wink:) ones can get amazingly expensive fast.

Problem with equipment is that in most of those kind of hobbies you are also going to pay 'learning money'.

In scuba this could mean as a noob buying a mares hub instead of a normal bcd or bp/wing. Then after about 6 months finding out that the initial practicality as sold is in reality not as practical. So you need to buy again.

Same could be said for horse riding, motorcycle racing, golf, sailing, whatever...

Anyway...when new guys start at our group/club they mostly are refered to me if they have material questions (since I'm the material guy). I try to steer them away from those newby mistakes and at the same time try to be non specific about brands so they still have choices. Not easy and in the end if you start a new equipment intensive hobby/sport you will pay learning money no matter what!

Cheers.

PS: my advice to any new diver... whatever you do... buy springstraps :D

Playing Bass:

1962 re-issue J-Bass (non custom shop) $1200
Custom Bass $4000-$8000
Hand Wired Tube Amp $2500
Neodimium Speakers (2) $1600
Cables $200
Effect Pedals $1500
Beer for weekly band practice $500/year

All for tips and 3 beers every month at the only gig you can get : )

Back
Top Bottom