Newby needs help purchasing a BC :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice all. During trianing I had the option to try a back flotation vest and didn't like it's behaviour. I felt more comfortable with the hybrid model. Which is why I decided to look for one. I'm basically looking at getting a decent kit and if in a couple of years if the need arises, I can start upgrading kit piece by piece.

Right now I'm good gayge wise as I have a Nat Geo (Egana) dive watch that has a built in depth gauge and shows me current depth, max dept, time under water. It'll give me an audible warning if I exceed 30ft/min ascend or descent. And it saves the last 10 dives.

As for the computer, it's definately has to be Nitrox compatible. Right now the Oceanic Veo 180 and the Mares M2 are on my shortlist. Since I'm not the young pup I was, one of my main considerations for both gauge and computer is being able to easily read them. :) The VEO 180 I can read no problems, I have to find a Mares M2 and have a look at that one.
The Zeagle N2iTiON is a bit more expensive but it may be worth saving a bit longer for. Especially as Zeagle is only about 40 miles north of me. Time now to start researching computers and see how and what on those.

I always advise new divers to either buy a BP/W right off the bat, or rent a couple of different types of BCs or buy a cheap used jacket for a while until you have some experience and can really appreciate the difference in the way these things act in the water. There are loads of used inexpensive jacket BCs on ebay or elsewhere, and there's not that much difference between them, quite honestly. In fact, the cheap ones are often better to dive with because there's less crap, oops I mean features..on them.

The jacket BC was designed from the start to be sold to and used by absolute beginners. I hear these arguments over and over about "it's better on the surface" or "it fits in my luggage". The only problem is, diving actually takes place underwater, not on the surface. If you want a life preserver, buy one. And if you're that concerned about packing, just rent gear at your destination. Then you can fill up your luggage with whatever you want.

Sorry about the rant.....

Captain Crocs:
Do you recommend buying on the internet, or should I have my LDS order it to try it on, even if I am sure it will fit?
Nothing wrong with the internet. But, part of the value of a GOOD LDS is that they should either have in stock various sizes for you to try on before purchase, or be able to order what will fit you.
Captain Crocs:
I have been diving jacket style BCDs and have not dove with a BP/W or a rear inflater. Do you think I can handle these other two? If so, which is preferred?
With the caveat of full disclosure - that the posters on SB (myself included) reflect a disproportionately larger number of divers using BP/W, than the overall diving population - I would agree (with ucfdiver, for example) that you should try a BP/W. I would NOT encourage a back-inflate BCD, for reasons outlined below in response to MrBOFH. BP/W is simple, functional, modular (and a host of other adjectives). It is NOT a 'technical' rig, it is appropriate for recreational use, it is appropriate for new divers and experienced divers alike. One disadvantage of a BP/W compared to a jacket BCD is the absence of pockets on a BP/W, but there are effective and simple solutions to address that issue. You live in an active diving area, with (at least) two shops to choose from, and a local dive club affiliated with one of them (AS), where you might be able to get additional ideas, or even arrange to try different configurations before making a decision.
Captain Crocs:
Integrated weights or belt? I have only used a belt.
I started with a belt, moved to weight-integrated BCD, added a weight harness when I bought a drysuit, went back to a belt when I moved to a BP/W, and have no plans to reconsider. Stay with the belt. Simpler, easier to adjust weight and trim than with integrated weights. Given your height and weight, I doubt you will need a great deal of weight, or that a belt will be difficult to use. While a weight harness is another option, I find those more useful in situations where a substantial amount of additional weight is needed, or the physique of the diver makes it more difficult to keep a weight belt snugly fastened around the waist.
During training I had the option to try a back flotation vest and didn't like it's behaviour.
Many back-inflate BCDs are also weight-integrated, with the weight pockets in the front of the diver - an example being the Zeagle Ranger. While some units also have rear weight pockets, which are helpful for adjusting trim, many of these are 1) optional (and do not get purchased as a result), 2) difficult to access (and therefore are seldom used), or 3) difficult to dump in an emergency. More than a few divers report a sensation of being pushed face-forward in the water when wearing a weight-integrated, back-inflate BCD. It makes mechanical sense, particularly if the diver is even slightly overweighted (which is not altogether uncommon early in the diving experience) and consequently overinflates the BCD. While this positioning is fine U/W, on the surface it is problematic, On the other hand, backplate/wing produces a notably different position in the water, particularly if the BP is SS rather than aluminum. Part / much of the weight is next to the inflation point, and there is far less 'rotation' to a horizontal position. It is unfortunate that some divers begin their transition, from jacket BCD to BP/W, by going through the back-inflate BCD, and are so put off by the 'face plant' feeling that they never complete the transition.

That premium package at divers-supply.com with the upgrades to the Oceanic Delta 4 regulator, Oceanic Slimline octo and Oceanic Swiv Navcon console prices out at around $910. Add a little more if you want a regulator bag and a gear bag. This package doesn't include the wetsuit so you may be a little over budget but not much.

That's a pretty decent price when you consider that the Delta 4 regulator normally sells for $539, the console for $220 and the octo for $100.

That Delta 4 is an outstanding cold water regulator. It has been selected by the Coast Guard, NOAA and the US Navy as their cold water regulator.

Dive it till you wear it out! You can always replace the BC with a BP/W later on.

Packages are about the only way to get discounts on Oceanic, ScubaPro and AquaLung. Individually, they are price controlled.

Richard

If your unsure of exactly which BCD to go with, one method would be to look at the different Dive Shops, find out what they have to offer in their rental inventory as well as if you know any other divers or dive clubs. try out / rent as many items as you can before you make the purchase. I was able to rent a zeagle ranger BCD before purchasing my BCD, after 2 dives with the Zeagle, i was hooked and subsequently purchased a Ranger myself.

Good luck on your search for gear, again take your time, this stuff gets expensive.

first of all congrats, and second becareful when buying online for some sites may be gray market goods like Leisurepro and are not authorized dealers,
i had the same situation as you did
my suggestion is look at mares, great gear relatively in your budget for bc, look at oms bp/w they are great and very practical for local, and cold water but look at aluminum plates they weigh about 2 lbs, and are good for travelling, oms does a good job with this, even though i don't own one yet i have tried them out and loved it at dutch springs

This is going to sound REALLY simple...but i'm also just starting my search for equipment.

What does BP/W stand for? Also, what are wings?

Back
Top Bottom