Newsletter Spam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is a longstanding observationof mine that if you hand several people a 100 dollar bill, inevitably one or two of them will complain that it's wrinkly or dirty.

*shrug*

Awwww, Scuba Freak. :05: that's not me in my profile, that's a supermodel standing with my husband. :11ztongue

I'd like to be the first to volunteer to be one of your test subjects should you ever decide to test this theory.

SueMermaid:
it is a longstanding observationof mine that if you hand several people a 100 dollar bill, inevitably one or two of them will complain that it's wrinkly or dirty.

SueMermaid:
Awwww, Scuba Freak. :05: that's not me in my profile, that's a supermodel standing with my husband.

husband....? pretty....?? who said you were pretty? me...? no...must have me confused with uhh....Scubafreak_1......:eek:uttahere

heehee...

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, OK ... but my point is that if our user names, status flags, and profile options make you mad, there's a really easy solution.

Ahh, no. Don't know where that came from. Just indicated its somewhat harder to see whos who by their user name color.

NWGratefulDiver:
You've spent way more time complaining (and somehow managing to make it a moderator issue) than it would've taken you to simply deselect the option in your profile.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But thats what everyone appears to do here anymore. Hmm, maybe the real scuba issues are in the 147 forums that i don't monitor anymore.
May have to check that.

Dive safe

At some point a long, long time ago when you signed up and registered here there was an option to receive email from admins, other members etc - just happens to be that this "spam" is an email from the admins. Do uncheck it if you dont want to receive it anymore.

Mech, what is there that can be done to make you more relaxed about the situation on SB? PM if you like.

simbrooks:
At some point a long, long time ago when you signed up and registered here there was an option to receive email from admins, other members etc - just happens to be that this "spam" is an email from the admins. Do uncheck it if you dont want to receive it anymore.

Thats true, and its still unchecked. There was not, AFAICR, a box to receive newsletters. I have no problem receiving a valid email about SB from the Admins, I do, however, have an issue with a newsletter that is nothing more than more ads.

simbrooks:
Mech, what is there that can be done to make you more relaxed about the situation on SB? PM if you like.

I am not unrelaxed concerning SB. I just hit here in passing once in a great while to check for PMs, as there is little to interest me in the current posts or user base. I do get requests for websites, or questions about previous posts, so I keep checking in on occasion.
Thanks for asking though.

MD

Let's be very clear here, receiving the newsletter is ultimately your decision. When you originally created your account one of the boxes says "receive e-mails from administrators", this is checked by default but should it be unchecked you will receive no e-mails, period. Secondly, we understand that some people want to receive e-mails like thread notifications but not the newsletter, hence we added the option to remove yourself from the newsletter only. The newsletter has always been a part of our site although we haven't used it much in recent times. On the bottom of every newsletter we clearly explain that this list can be unsubscribed from not once but twice. We also have a thread explaining it in both this forum and the news forum along with a detailed tos item explaining your subscription options step-by-step.

As far as the commercial impact of this email -- it is a content reminder, not an ad packed spam message. The only items that I see that could be considered as "ads" is the image promoting the free contest we have going on now and a text blurb about a trip we are holding later this year. Beyond those items everything else links to an article, a thread or a free feature. That's as much advertising as you will see in our newsletter and as far as I can tell, it is very, very minor and pretty well marked.

Clearly not everyone wants to receive e-mails from ScubaBoard and not everyone wants the newsletter. This is why we have gone to such lengths to allow people to opt-out. Why didn't we make it an opt-in list? Actually, we did. We figured people signing up were opt-ing in and so long as we provide ways to easily opt-out it seemed fair to us. Thousands of people have chosen to opt out and don't receive a newsletter or any e-mails, again, depending on their preferences. Your right to privacy and to Email privacy is something we take very, very seriously and that's why we have made removing yourself from our Emil system as easy and as painless as we could. I apologize if you received any messages you did not like and I invite you to remove the "receive Emil from administrators" box to insure you never, ever, ever receive an Email again.

Let no good deed go unpunished or misinterpreted. :D

Yeah, that was jam packed full of ads. Maybe, you have our newsletter mistaken with someone else's? It was short and sent as a reminder of some threads you might have missed.

Tech Admin:
I invite you to remove the "receive Emil from administrators" box to insure you never, ever, ever receive an Email again.

Gettin kind of testy, aren't we?

I'll do better than that Tech, why don't you just deactivate my account so I can't annoy you any more.

MechDiver:
I'll do better than that Tech, why don't you just deactivate my account so I can't annoy you any more.

All those in favor signify by :bigun2:

If anything I thought it was a bit lame, but not complaining. Thanks for the work Mod Squad!!

Back
Top Bottom