Nex wide angle 16mm with 1 strobe setting with inon z240, enough power?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi , i am thinking of buying a store that can be use with the 16mm wide angle. Is 1 inon z240 powerfull enough for wide angle? I don't intend to puchase 2 strobe, but i ak looking to buy 1 versetile strobe for wide and macro

Depends on what you think a strobe should do. Any strobe will be good for illuminating the foreground subject that is the main focal point in your wide angle pic. NO strobe will be able to light up a whole wreck for you or a whole whale shark for example.
The Z240 is a great strobe but I think for most things you will want/need two strobes.
Bill

I agree with Bill. I started with one strobe and added the second one as fast as I could. The Z240 is a great choice and the second one will be easy to add latter. The other Bill

Has anyone tried the new Sea&Sea D1 strobe? It has 32 GN power, will the 32GN power able to light wide angle photo with 1 (just d1) strobe?

Last edited:
You may want to go back and read the fine print regarding the D1 strobe. While I think it will be a nice product it has a W/A and a macro setting. The 32 GN is for macro where the beam angle is narrowed. At W/A the GN drops to around 22.

Has anyone tried the new Sea&Sea D1 strobe? It has 32 GN power, will the 32GN power able to light wide angle photo with 1 (just d1) strobe?

It is possible we are wrong but we are not aware of the D1 having a "w/a and macro setting", as in a button on the strobe. It is accomplished via the use of two diffusers. With the 100 degree diffuser it has a guide number of 24, according to S&S. With the 120 degree diffuser it is guide number 20.

Another interesting link comparing strobes including the D1: Facebook

PS: If you go to the S&S site they now have a little promo video up for the D1

Lets remember what GN means and how much you can light up. A GN of 24 on land means a GN of about 8 in the water. That means you can shoot at f8 (iso 100) at 1 meter away from your subject (GN=DxF). If you calculate how big an area you can illuminate at 100 degrees from a meter away you can light up a big fan or a big anemone but not a wreck or a whole reef. The tangent of 50 degrees is 1.18 so you can light up bit more than 3 feet with that strobe at f8.
Bill

I agree that 2 is always better than 1. I started with one strobe(inon z240) and quickly purchased another after practicing with the single for about one month. If you are really interested in wide angle, two strobes would be ideal. Although i have been loyal to inon for about three years Sea & Sea's D1 is looking like it may be a better alternative. You can find a great review of the d1 at YS-D1 strobe review, specs, comparison|Underwater Photography Guide

let me know if you have any questions i would be happy to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom