Next step for a new diver II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midget Clown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We need to start to build our gear and we are looking for info on the order that seems to work best. We have Mask and Computers. We know we will need Fins and Boots first. I'm not sure how much local diving we will do as we do not like cold water. (we will give it a go but may rent gear for now) I don't see us hauling all our gear on vacations so I'm not sure where to start.

A wetsuit and boots or other exposure protection may be a good route, as is looking at a regulator. Since regs are small, they're easy to take on vacation in your carry-on. Fins are something you can rent at your destination if you wish.

If you are of average size renting should be fine until you decide you want to dive more and make those decisions. If you are exceptionally large or small or have 3 arms, you may want to get your own wet suit and boots. Wet suits of extreme sizes are usually non existent at most places. You will probably always find average size stuff at locations for rent. good luck on your decisions. I hope you decide to just dive dive dive..

Boots for sure. Warm water? Still need them for rocks and coral chunks on beach.
I'd second the suggestion to get your own regs. You can rent neoprene, though bargains in thin suits ($79) are common, and don't have quite the consequences of poor sizing that thick suits do.
But nothing worse than renting regs that are out of tune and hard to breathe. And then there's that whole "life support equipment" thing. Do you really want to reach 80' in gear that looks like it has been used hard and hasn't been serviced in two years?
You'll get a million suggestions here, but the bottom line is, you can spend anywhere from $150 to $1500. Used gear can be a GREAT cost saving, but be sure to choose a brand that's serviced where you live, and make sure to factor in $135 per set to have checked and serviced.
Skip the gear bags. Wait on the bcd.

Last edited:
The things to buy first are those where fit and ease of use are important. Mask, booties and fins are pretty standard. A wetsuit that fits comfortably has some big advantages: comfort and warmth are huge. Buoyancy is something that will vary with you and the suit. The same suit every time will make getting the right trim easier. Also, a rental suit will have been worn previously by someone of unknown hygiene and you will be trusting the dive op to make sure it is clean. After reading a recent thread about an infection that was alleged to be from a rental suit, I would make this a fairly high priority. The more kit you own, the more quickly you will aclimate to the local. There are BCDs that are designed specifically for travel.

Edit: I haven’t rented in a long time, but I would say I would rather rent a regulator than a wetsuit.

If most of your diving will be away from home, consider buying light weight equipment without much bulk. Thinking BCDs in particular can make a substantial difference. A Zeagle Covert is under five pounds and works well, have used it, can recommend. Personally I use a Halcyon traveler (under six pounds) not bulky and excellent performer. It is a technical BCD but convenient for any type of diving except if you need twins. Regulator would be next and after that a wetsuit. Fully agree with CT !!

Sounds great. I think reg will be the next step after fins and boots.
A slightly different perspective... someone recently posted of contracting a severe infection from a rental wesuit. Just saying that all places don’t clean their rental equipment equally well. I suppose the same is true of refs but I suppose you can always ask for a new mouthpiece.

Hi
I am in similar situation. So far I have bought my own fins, mask, boots and wetsuit (a 3 mm cheapie after only 2 dives in hire suits). I found hire wetsuits more than a bit smelly - even after I had had a good shower I had not got rid of the smell. My local Karting club had an issue with impetigo being spread through shared equipment, and I reckon if you see what impetigo does it wont be long before you will buy your own wetsuit. I snorkel a lot on holiday otherwise I would not bother to take my own fins. I am just about to buy my own BCD and regs, this is so I can practice locally and have equipment I am used to on holiday. Hiring BCDs is OK up to a point but you waste a bit of time each time you get a different BCD getting your weighting right, and they tend to have different fill and vent rates so again this can waste dive time getting your buoyancy comfortable.

My travel gear is my best investment but I tend to get 2 dives a day, every day, when I travel. Downside is the money spent and extra suitcase. Upside is I get to dive the same rig every trip and know the service history.

I use a good standard size hardshell suitcase with just the gear in it. When it's in it's own suitcase it makes it mentally easier since you're not struggling to readjust clothing needs in your primary suitcase. On most airlines it qualifies as a free extra checked bag because they classify it as sports equipment. Regs and my prescription mask are in my carry-on though for safety and peace of mind.

MY order and personal choices would be...
-Mask & Snorkel
-Fins (Mares X-Streams are light, powerful and fit in a standard size suitcase)
-Regulators (Apeks Flight... CRAZY light)
-BCD (Aqualung Outlaw... small and light enough to fit in a carry-on. Also converts to cold water with larger wing)
*At this point a Save a Dive kit specific to your gear is a great idea... o-rings, straps, mouthpiece, weight pockets etc.
-Wetsuit (Bare Reactive 3mm is as warm as a standard 5mm, requires less lead and packs smaller). I also take my Bare 3mm Tropic boot in as I like the sturdier sole for both the concrete surfaces at the dive-shop and the ladders on the boat.

If you're only diving once or twice a week on a trip then this is all way too much... but if you're hooked and dive every day you can while traveling this is really a great investment.

Back
Top Bottom