Next step?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to add that a good Rescue course will help with task loading and stress management. When I took Rescue Diver the instructor had Dive Masters, IDC Staff Trainers, OWSI and a Course Director present at the open water portion. When we thought we could handle all they were throwing at us they would step it up and give us more. By the end of the day we were all exhausted but really felt we could handle a lot more than before the course.

I was later explained that one of the major goals of Rescue Diver was keeping your wits while being given unreasonable stress and task loading.

I second (or third?!) Rescue followed by Advanced Nitrox/Deco Proceedures. I would venture that even if folk don't plan on doing deco dives, the advanced training is still hugely beneficial. Then you can follow up with an Advanced Wreck course.

I would also venture that you get practice diving doubles (if you're not already). I found diving doubles to be a whole new ballgame. It would be to your disadvantage if you tried to perform some of the Adv. EAN/Deco open water skills - shooting bags, out of air drills, clipping and unclipping bottles, and so on - while still struggling to familiarize yourself with a new set-up. I see you're based in Denmark, so I assume you're already diving a drysuit? if so, that's awesome...getting comfortable with doubles AND a drysuit at the same time would be the very definition of task-loading!

Yes I´m already diving doubles and a drysuit. It´s a challenge, but fun.
It seems that rescue is a course that most of you recommend. I´ll take all your suggestions in consideration.

My passion is wreck diving. There are lots of wrecks within my current range (PADI AOWD+Nitrox <40msw), but in time I would like to explore some of the deeper(less visited) ones. ...... I´m already diving doubles and a drysuit. It´s a challenge, but fun. ..... So the question is, what course should be my next? and why...
Beyond Rescue and the Deep specialty, the course(s) you pursue may be influenced by what is available to you in your area / country. Several have mentioned the TDI sequence. Since you already have some training in the PADI sequence, I would add that the DSAT Tec courses can be particularly good. And, they are being reorganized to deliver the dive training, that was previously offered in the first two lengthy courses, in 3 somewhat more manageable course segments. As for the 'hell of alot of practice' you can already start doing some things that will help prepare you for the more advanced courses. For example, are you currently diving with a (larger, e.g. 30 or 40 cf) pony bottle? If not, it would be useful to start diving with one, to get used to the effects of having extra bottles clipped to you, and to the process of switching gases underwater. Are your propulsion techniques (frog kicks, turns, etc.) proficient? Is your buoyancy / trim in the drysuit/doubles configuration precise? I particularly like the comments about team diving and situational awareness. Deeper, longer decompression diving involves equipment, procedures and attitude. And, I think the latter element was the most revealing part of the training for me.

Rescue is a pre-requisite for most tech level course. If it isn't, it should be....

Your next step will be determined greatly by your relative experience. 100 logged dives is the normal minimum for tech classes. You should honestly appraise yourself, your level of skill (horizontal buoyancy, DSMB deployment, finning techniques), as well as your honest level of comfort underwater.

Tech training takes you into a zone where death or serious injury is a possibility if you screw up or freak out.

PADI (DSAT) have the Tech Deep.

TDI/IANTD etc have a combo of Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures and Extended Range (takes you to the same level as DSAT Tech Deep.

GUE do the 'Fundamentals' (Fundies) course...which is their pre-tech benchmark. Then they have different levels of tech (1,2,3).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom