Next trip...Any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it looks like South Florida, Ft. Lauderdale area. Either the weekend of Oct 11-12 or Oct 25-26. Maybe we can do shore diving on Saturday at Dania Beach, the Airo-jacks (sp?) are there. There is a bit of walking involved in that dive I think. Or we could do Commercial Blvd Pier in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. Either way, you will need quarters for parking. Dania Beach we could have a cook out. On Sunday for any still in the area (cuz I will be staying the night) we can do a boat dive with like Parrot Island Scuba. I like them, good crew and good dive snacks. I think that a 2 tank dive (if you have your own tanks) is like $35. Well I know its not more than $45. Also there is a good restaurant at the marina where it is (Tails) so we can have lunch/dinner afterwards. They have morning and afternoon dives. I would like to try and do a boat dive cuz I need to stock my freezer with lobsters.

Everyone good for that? I'll wait til a few more folks chime in on this before I seal the deal.

to this group but I'm open Oct. 18-19. And I like the Ft. Lauderdale area.
And maybe a Texas-Florida gathering in the springs after the New Years.

My tardy two cents worth.

If we agree on Dania Beach, and as Wendy has mentioned, the erojacks at John U Lloyd state park http://www.floridastateparks.org/lloydbeach/activities.asp ,
there is a boat ramp at the park. We can always go to John Lloyd instead of Dania, which borders Dania Beach. Unfortunately the only entrance for divers at Dania is at the other end of the parking lot than where you enter for the jacks.
(I have only done the jacks from the park. Some say you can do it from Dania, but it is a slightly longer swim)

Pros and cons:
State park pros:
-One entrance fee, no feeding the meters
-Can dive anywhere on the beach
-BBQ grills under trees
-BigTrees and shade next to the sand.
-Beach and Grills not split by parking lot.
-Boat Ramp
-Boat can get close to shore to pick up divers...

Dania Beach Pros:
-Pavillion
-BBQ grills
-Beach is bigger
-Short walk from car to beach or BBq
-Showers, bathroom

State Park Cons:
-Not easy access to Restooms or water for rinsing.
-Decent walk to beach.
-Beach erosion.
-Pavillion needs to be rented, and is not near diving.

Dania Beach Cons:
-Only one entrance to water at each end of parking lot
-Beach and grills split by parking lot
-Parking lots fills up on the weekend, usually.

That's it off the top of my head...any other submissions appreciated..

Wendy,

You're running out of time, October will soon be here (that IS good news). Pick a weekend so folks can plan for it. Either is fine, but remember, you are competing with DEMA if you choose 11 -12.

so we don't have to compete with DEMA, how bout the Saturday the 25th for beach dives, location TBA sometime in the next day or so. Sunday the 26th, boat dives in Pompano with parrot Island Scuba. Sound good? Mark your calendars.

Nice! I like it! scuba_jenny - can you find out if camping is available on site? I've looked at the page and its not mentioned, but my experience is that sometimes you can make those arrangements if you call.. and what an awesome place to camp! :)

I don't thnk there is camping there. There are a few county parks that allow camping, but I wouldn't want to camp one place and pack up to dive another...
Can you call the 800# and let us know?
TIA
:j

Walter once bubbled...
Pick a weekend so folks can plan for it. Either is fine, but remember, you are competing with DEMA if you choose 11 -12.

The nice thing about DEMA is you will have divers from all over the country in Miami. DEMA is Oct 8th through the 11th. I know a lot of divers will want to try the local dives on the weekend. I'll be one of them :)

If the dive party coincided with DEMA we could potentially end up with a real BIG turnout. :D Might make the Venice dive party seem small.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom