Next weekend's weather. UGH...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10 Day Weather Forecast for Cozumel, Mexico - weather.com

Will diving be cancelled? 16th through the 20th?

Is anyone there now? How is it looking for the week?

A. No one, not even the best weatherman can accurately predict the weather a full week out, especially in the tropics

B. Your link is the weather.com forecast and it ALWAYS says the same thing this time of year. According to that forecast, it should be storming here now and it's absolutely gorgeous. Even if that is true ad there are isolated showers and storms - heavy rains do not cancel diving, we get wet anyway.

There IS however an area of tropical disturbance that we are watching closely. It is not yet even a tropical depression and it's really still too far off to tell what it's going to do - so the point is relax and just watch it.

In the very worst case scenario, it looks like it's POSSIBLE (not certain by any means) that it could come close to us as a Cat 1 or Cat 2 on Wednesday - but again, way too early to worry, panic or to cancel travel plans - just stay aware of the storm forcasters (not weather.com)

Even if it does hit us on Wednesday - things will be back to normal by Friday or Saturday if it's nothing more than the worst case predicted.

We should have a much better idea in the next 36 hours or so.

Here are some better links for weather forecasts...

Cozumel: Cozumel, Mexico Forecast : Weather Underground

Tropics & Storms: Tropical Weather : Weather Underground

Wednesday is the only iffy day for now...
If the planes are fouled up on Wednesday, I gonna be mad.... I am just saying....
Call your airline and see if they will let you change to Tuesday at no charge? They can if they want to, and this would be good for them - so they might.

Then you can drive over to the east side Wednesday and see if it's arriving. :D

Last edited:
Wednesday is the only iffy day for now...

Call your airline and see if they will let you change to Tuesday at no charge? They can if they want to, and this would be good for them - so they might.

Then you can drive over to the east side Wednesday and see if it's arriving. :D

In theory that sounds good, but I have to attend to stuff on Tuesday before I leave. I squeezed that Wednesday flight in. I even took the two leg with a change in Charlotte because the Airtran direct to CUN wasnt flying on Wed. All so I could make the independance day thing. Now it is threatening to literally rain on my parade. AND the fireworks....

Today's forecast from Dr.Masters seems to have lowered expectations that it will make hurricane status...
Track forecast for 92L
The disturbance is moving west to west-northwest at 15 mph, and steering currents favor a continuation of this motion for the next three days. Model support for development is scattered. The GFS and NOGAPS models do not develop 92L. The GFDL and ECMWF models predict development, with a track taking 92L into Belize or Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula on Wednesday. On this track, the southern Dominican Republic can expect heavy rains of 3 - 6 inches today through Monday morning; southern Haiti can expect similar rains tonight through Monday night, and Jamaica and the Cayman Islands can expect heavier rains of 4 - 8 inches Monday and Tuesday. Eastern Cuba can expect rains in the 2 - 4 inch range. Once 92L crosses the Yucatan, the ridge of high pressure steering it is expected to remain in place, forcing 92L to a second landfall in Mexico south of the Texas border.

Intensity forecast for 92L
NHC is putting the odds of 92L developing into a tropical depression by Tuesday at 50%; I'd put them higher, at 70%. However, time is running out for 92L to become a hurricane before hitting the Yucatan Peninsula on Wednesday. Given the current disorganized state of 92L, it would be difficult for it to intensify quickly enough to become a hurricane by then. The storm may also suffer another of its mysterious evening collapses, where it loses most of its heavy thunderstorm activity. However, the SHIPS model predicts wind shear will remain low, 5 - 10 knots, through the period, and water temperatures are certainly warm enough to support development. The main detriment to intensification is likely to be dry air, and 92L could wrap in some of the dry air to its northwest at times, slowing down development. There are a number of research flights being made into 92L this afternoon that should help long-term efforts to make better predictions in the future on whether or not disturbances like this will develop or not.

Yup, 92L looked extremely dangerous when it first formed, but it has been slow to intensify and keeps on sucking in dry air which breaks it up.

At this point it just looks like a little rain and wind *might* blow through Cozumel. Starting to look unlikely to even be a cat 1 hurricane, and there's still not guarantee that it'll get close enough to Cozumel to really matter. Tracks for Invests tend to be very uncertain and it could hit anywhere from Belize to Cuba. The timing will also be uncertain, and it might not be Wednesday, it could stall out and be Thursday.

Still way too soon to be making travel changes around this weather. By Tuesday morning predictions for Cozumel should be a lot more useful.

Still way too soon to be making travel changes around this weather. By Tuesday morning predictions for Cozumel should be a lot more useful.
Yeah, final decisions shouldn't be made until it's time to take the dog to the kennel. It may well fail or at least miss Coz...

Back
Top Bottom