Niagara River Drift Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, we will try to hook up with you guys one weekend.
Always looking for more people to dive with.

Considering run off, viz, current etc, when is it actually practical to start diving the river?

Firediver32:
Considering run off, viz, current etc, when is it actually practical to start diving the river?

Run off and vis??????practical???????

probably in another month or 2 when it hasn't rained for a few days.

Since it was such a fabulous day today - my hubby and I went for a walk along the river in Isleview Park - the viz was so-so and the bergs floating by gave us a good visual reference on the speed of the drift :wink: . We had rain yesterday - so naturally the viz would affected - 3 days of sun ahead.

My buddies in Toronto report 37 degrees there too.

Now on the subject of air travel: Have a great trip!

As to getting your dive gear into the weight restrictions (check the airport website - last year we were allowed 2 pieces of checked baggage. Originally I had my big dive gear bag and a smaller bag packed with clothes - seemed logical, and my camera gear was in my carry on.

Well we were overweight on dive gear - and the smaller cases were very light.
We ended up breaking down our gear and repacking: some dive gear into the small cases and clothes into the dive gear. Travel tip: Clothes are an excellent protection for wrapping around fragile items.

Another travel tip - if you can: weigh your bags before leaving home.

I'm still game for a dive this weekend... or next.

Thanks Chris
My wife and I have already packed our bags 3 different ways, and counting.
Problem is with getting from Grand Cayman to little Cayman. Only a small prop job.

I find river conditions are more controled by what lake erie is doing. Even on a sunny week if its windy the lake rolls over really easy and mucks it all up.

Just out of curiosity -- how close in proximity is this dive site from the falls?

Get that question all the time, sometimes get the wide eyes along with it, LOL.

Where there doing the dive its about 12 miles, they are talking about diving "East River" which runs the east side of Grand Island. We do our dives in "West River" which runs the west side of Grand Island. Where we get out is about 6.5 miles from the falls. Even still, the river moves about 2-4 knots in those areas so its a many hour drift to get close to the falls.

hey guys ...how long is the dive and how deep .....i've almost got my dry suit but ill go wet for now.......count me in

Without checking my log, I'd have to say 30ish is about the deepest I've found on the river, usually in the 20's. As for dive time, it's usually 30-40 minute range from Isle View park, to the boat ramp where I exit.

Firediver32:
Without checking my log, I'd have to say 30ish is about the deepest I've found on the river, usually in the 20's. As for dive time, it's usually 30-40 minute range from Isle View park, to the boat ramp where I exit.
im in sounds like fun.........

Back
Top Bottom